The great Alteste hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattS View Post
    Can one of our German members contact that company and see if they know the history of their address? Chances are the building has been replaced (circa 1946) as most of Berlin was bulldozed and rebuilt.
    Here is a pic from google earth. Not was I would expect structure wise for a building build before 1946 in Berlin but who knows.
    Attached Files

Comment

Coming soon to a movie theatre near you.

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/pl...php?id=1863261

http://www.grapheine.com/bombaytv/in...d7d1ba8a6c11ea

Comment

Comment

Anders, you kill me.

I think this thread as much as we beat it to death needs to be read. It is another example of how “some people” want to keep collectors in the dark with misinformation. Good information is just bad for business. Funny how many have read it. I see members looking in that I never see in this section.

I am sure when I finish my book there will be many that contest it or just plain get mad but I can assure you I have some things in store for you guys that I have never posted nor have been seen on the forum before. Not that I have been holding anything back but hey I am like a comedian, without new material I just get stale. You guys will see some fakes that will blow your mind how good they are, unlike the stale old Alteste crap.

One more thing, I asked the member that has the 1941 Berlin phonebook for sale to take a peak and look for Alteste Mutzenfabrik. I have already had someone do this for me years ago but hey, one more look wont hurt.

Comment

Just for the heck of it I asked the member selling the 1941 Berlin phonebook to take a look for me. Here is his reply, go figure.

Hi,

I had a good look yesterday in the Phonebook. There is no entry about any of this. I had a look for "älteste Mützenfabrik" and just "Mützenfabrik", also looked up for Breuer, but nothing like that.

Any more help needed, just let me know.

cheers, Kai

PS: If you want you can copy my comment to the thread.

Also I contacted Whittmann myself and he indeed is going to pull the visor on his Monday update.

Thanks Kai

Comment

I have been communicating with Mr. Wittman, and he agrees there may be questions about the cap. If Breuer did indeed assemble caps from left over wartime Muller materials, the cloth would be impossible to date as anything but wartime without knowing the history of the maker's mark. I feel he's being honest here and will do the right thing. He's not ashamed to admit, "I personally know nothing about hats and even have a hard time describing them, as I don't even know the terms used for the various parts." Can't get any more honest than that.

Comment

Matt I agree 100%. From my correspondence he was more than honest about his very limited knowledge of visors. What he did do was depend on two other individuals that he felt were “experts”. Well the bottom line is those two experts were wrong and he realizes it now.

Comment

Received several PM's asking which hat was the subject of this thread.
                  This was the hat Wittmann was selling in 2007 that he claimed was vetted by 2 experts:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hello Chris

Thank you for having raised from oblivion this great thread of nine years ago.

Meanwhile, the net has made a lot of progress.

I checked the 1943 Berlin Adressbuch. The house numbers 109 and 110 of the Wilhelmstrasse recall at number 12 of Anhalterstrasse:

http://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/10089470_1943/5420/

http://digital.zlb.de/viewer/image/10089470_1943/4494/

As we can see there is no sign of a caps' factory.

Marcello

Comment

The "SS General" visor that was for sale on Wittmann's site is now being sold by Oakleaf:

http://www.oakleafmilitaria.com/germ...offerings.html
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X