Best books on TR visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best books on TR visors

The local militaria show will be happening the end of the month & the militaria bookseller will be there. What are the best books available in print on TR cloth headgear - esp. visors & SS?

Brian--sorry, I overlooked your thread. The books aren't much help with regards to identifying fake from real, and most of them have a few repro or "franky" hats.

My personal fave is Dress and Field Service Hats of the Third Reich by Tom Shutt--the pix are small, but a lot are in color, and it gives a listing of the waffenfarbes and styles, along with period pix--it covers WH, Political, SS, and my favorite, Zivil--there is usally a copy on ebay for sale at any one time, and they go for the 80 buck range.

Wilkins book, a Collectors Guide to Cloth German Military Headgear is excellent for a study of the major manufacturers, but it focuses on WH and SS.

The Moran/Maguire books, German Headgear in WWII, are in 2 volumes, but really are just large picture books w/o any text.

Lastly is the 4-volume series, the Headgear of Hitlers Germany, but it is a Bender publication, and suffers from small pictures, and no interior shots--but its a great reference for the (ever-changing) regulations. You can get these on E-bay as well, but I would personally start out with the Shutt book.
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I agree with stonemint. DRESS AND FIELD SERVICE HATS OF THE THIRD REICH by Tom Shutt is a good book to start with. Section 42 deals with 'Headdress Care, Restoration and Preservation' and Section 43 deals with 'Reproductions'.

I recently picked up a numbered signed edition on ebay for $56.00.

Comment

Tom Shutt makes an important point in his book. Besides studying actual headgear, it's also important to study period photographs. Photographs show many headgear with unauthorized variations.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all who responded. I will try & check these books out. We await the Tom Wittmann of the visors to write a book (or books) that will do for cloth headgear what was done for daggers.

Comment

I agree--its overdue. The question is, do you do it by makers (ie, a book devoted to Erels of all services from 33-45) or do you do it by service branch (ie, "Exploring the Visor Caps of the Luftwaffe). The only drawback is the amount of time and expense in writing these--it took Gary Wilkins 3 years to write his (and I think he's still recovering )
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Best Cloth Headgear books

10 years later - and it's time for an update on this question. What currently are the best books on TR cloth headgear?

Comment

Brian, IMO, we are beyond the books in the age of the internet--they cannot keep up with the new information that comes out on a daily basis.

The best are still the Headgear of Hitler's Germany by Wim Saris (I just wish they were in a larger format). He will soon be coming out with Volume 6.

The SS headgear book which came out a few years ago is also very good.
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Robby & Paul's book is an excellent study of rare TR headgear:
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Tony Vickers put out an excellent chronological study of German visor caps:
                    Attached Files
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This is a nice paperback book which encompasses hats sold by Hermann Historica over the years:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

These 2 books are in French, but I like the layout and graphic design of them:
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

Great stuff guys and a decade on.

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                              Tony Vickers put out an excellent chronological study of German visor caps:
                              Tony is a good chap too, i have chewed the fat with him many times.. That is an old English expression for talking.........

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X