Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea of the maker?

Dear All,

I've had this hat for many years and always wondered about the maker. Any ideas?

Thanks and best regards,

Albert
    Attached Files

Interior is completely unmarked, which I have never seen in an Army cap before:
    Attached Files

Comment

Interior is constructed of a carton band, artificial leather sweat band, and two different types of blue fabric:
      Attached Files

Comment

Back of Interior:
        Attached Files

Comment

Better look on the two fabric types:
          Attached Files

Comment

Close up of leatherette sweat band and "waffled" underside of visor:
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Albert,
              I have never seen a blue lining in a WW.2 cap before and the farbe looks very vivid but i still have a lot to learn about caps.

It might be ok but i would be warey of this one.
              Sorry i can't be more helpfull........

Steve.

Comment

I do not like the cap. The blue liner, and the brightness of the waffenfarbe. The farbe seems to be like a lot of repros that are on ebay, way to bright. This is my opinion. Wait for NTZ and Stonemint to weigh in. Pete

Comment

I seen images of the cap elsewhere. Another member asked me to look at it. I did not see under the sweatband and did comment I thought it looked ok. The blue lining does not bother me at all. I have seen it used on an army before. Now that I see the “under the hood” shots I do have two big concerns. First the untreated cardboard pasteboard and two the ultra bright white stitching. Did you black light that stitching? If the cap turns out to be bad someone is starting to make some pretty good fakes. Take a look at the repro/fake CW Carlo (Solo) posted a few days ago. It is staring to get scary out there guys.

Comment

I am not resistant to learning but in this case I still am very comfortable with this visor despite the comments. This cap has been with me for 10+ years, so it's certainly not a recent fake.

It came as part of a large uniform grouping where everthing is "text book". The items that were labeled where from Regensburg, Fürth, and Coburg. I assume, and it is my opinion only, that this hat was made somewhere in N. Bavaria by a small cap maker.

Now, to answer Nick's question: the white thread is not as shiny in real life as the flash makes it appear. I just went over the cap with a UV light and nothing glows.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post

It came as part of a large uniform grouping where everthing is "text book". ...
                      The other two visors in this grouping was this Sperb:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=211765

and this one:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=Albert

I know, most follow the "buy the item not the story" approach, but considering the circumstances and the wealth of perfectly fine items in the grouping, I am having an extremely hard time imagining this cap being a fake.

Comment

Blue lining does not a bad cap make..
                        I like what I see underneath..
                        Busy Mom and Pop effects/tailor shop with great skills??
                        Lets hear more...Billbert

Comment

I did like all the pics of it other than those two things. Well one now. What is the pasteboard made of? Some composite material? Maybe that is just the pic too. I certainly never seen an untreated piece of cardboard used for pasteboard. The lining, sheild, sweatband and exterior all look good.

Certainly nothing wrong with the other two visors.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                            ... Well one now. What is the pasteboard made of? Some composite material? ...
                            Looks like carton to me.

Comment

Well if that visor is period it would certainly be a first for me to see cardboard used. It also would not make much sense. Seeing that is sits right behind the sweatband after much use perspiration would deteriorate that it no time. Not to mention if the cap got wet from the elements, rain and snow. That is why you always see treated or composite materials used. A cap using cardboard would certainly not last long if the owner used it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X