SS Black Field Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Black Field Cap

In a recent thread showing Stan Bozich's book on headgear Stonemint raised the subject of the early black field cap with the cloth covered peak for the SS. Here is a much better view of this style of cap being worn by an nco of the Leibstandarte. Kurt Meyer is on the right of the photograph as an Untersturmfuehrer so the date is between May 1934 and March 1935. Interestingly Meyer wears post October 1934 silver piping on his tabs and the nco wears pre-October white piping (presumably because it's a drill tunic, many photos show outdated insignia being worn on these garments).
    Derek

Derek--choice post!!! Thats what I love about this forum--every day I see and learn something new--up until I got the Bozich book, I never knew there was an A-SS Crusher--and now I see this--thanks for posting
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Super photo...Thanks for showing.

Glenn
      "A Man's Got to Know His Limitations"

Comment

Wonderful photo. To my eyes, this particular cap closely resembles the style of caps worn by university students of the period (studentenm******252;tze). By that I mean a much simpler design and smaller overall dimensions compared to the later "alter art" or "Knautschm******252;tze" caps.
        Last edited by BenVK; 03-28-2007, 09:15 AM.

Comment

BenVK,
          They are not dissimilar in shape to the caps you mention except these early caps are identical to Imperial field caps and those worn by by the Reichswehr in that there is virtually no stiffening in them at all. I have seen police field caps that were the same, you can almost roll them in a ball. Unlike the later field caps that were more a representation of nco rank these early hats really were meant to be used in the field and folded up when necessary.
          Derek

Comment

Now I understand why he wears gloves. Look at his sigaret. Leather is a better protection against burning injuries. Like the leather cloths worn by the panzer crews from the 12 SS HJ for instead

regards erwin

Comment

Forgot to say.

Thanks Derek you mentioned it that is was Kurt Meyer. I have this picture also in a book but now i know it is Kurt Meyer

regards erwin

Comment

For those interested in the background of these very interesting caps they were introduced in black and grey in 1934. Here is the order introducing the field caps or bivouac caps. It indicates the use of a peak, (schild), for SS-Sturmfuehrer and upwards and the kraetzchen for lower ranks, without a peak (ohne schild).
                Although the RZM is mentioned as the source of these caps, the only original kraetzchen and the field cap that I have seen from this period had Imperial style linings with no RZM markings or identification.
                Derek

Comment

Although it's not the clearest shot in the world here is a picture of nco's that shows the two types of black cap side by side. The man on the right wears the service cap and on the left is the field cap.
                  Derek

Comment

Here is a copy of a photo I took for an author attempting to mirror the picture I posted at the top of the two leaders. Unfortunately this one seems a little overexposed, so my apologies for the slightly bleached look of it. Notice the ridge on the lacquer peak that's almost identical to the one in the period shot. The early field caps, and many of the later ones for that matter, feature a very narrow capband that only just accomodates the badge. This is again evident in the top picture.
                    Derek

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X