No announcement yet.

DAK OS Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the interest of not making post number 75 too long, let me explain the following in this post;

When the HB factory first started making tropical sidecaps. They applied soutache to them. Now we do not know if they were making caps in June or July 1942. So far no HB caps earlier than August 42 have come to light.

However in August 1942, they had bins of cap parts waiting to be assembled. Some of these bins had cap bodies already put together or partly assembled with a soutache in place. These cap bodies were awaiting further assembly with a lining. The linings were then made up, maker stamped, dated, sized and placed in another bin.

In early to mid August 1942 the cap bodies with a soutache (made up in July 1942 ?) went through final assembly and were joined together with a liner made in August 1942.

Sometime from mid-August 1942, production changed to cap bodies without a soutache (made in August 1942) being assembled and joined with a liner made in August 1942. Thus now complying with the new regulations of July 1942.

All production by the end of August 1942 from the HB factory now complied with the July 1942 regulation of no longer having a soutache. Thus any HB cap dated 942 onwards did not and should not have a soutache or even signs of one being removed.

I can not tell you why HB did not remove the soutache from their early to mid August 1942 production except to say it was probably not worth the extra production cost/ time for them to do it.

What is interesting is the rework example dated 842 in my possession. This cap is what we would call today a "factory second". It has been double checked and resized. Who ever did the resizing of this cap, removed the soutache. I have no way of knowing if it was the HB factory or not. However, there is one feature that confirms it is period done but I am not stating that here for obvious reasons,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by NZMark View Post
      Hi Tim,
      Sounds good to me!
      Chris - knowing what was also found with the other Pz cap you mentioned I'm with Tim thinking it was a Luftwaffe base of operations.

Regards,
      Mark
      NZ
      I think we should quash the curiosity Mark,

and tell, also in that suit case with the Halfar Pz. sidecap marked "German airforce cap" was one of the finest LW "Herman Meyer" hats in existance today. Worn, faded, field used and salty but no holes rips or tears

They do not come much better. However, I am on the fence about it confirming a LW connection for a nicely used/ worn WH trop Pz sidecap.

Looking forward to the "Jack Daniels" and a smooth single malt that I will be bringing
      Last edited by 90th Light; 07-12-2014, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Maybe i was not clear enough. THe fellow that purchased the original soutached beehive caps including the CW, Weissbach LAGO & HB's years ago is not the same fellow that purchased the non-soutached CW & HB's and had the soutache added post War....

& Mark & Chris when i come knockin i'll have the Lagavulin ready

Comment

Sounds above average, Tim - You'll have a place to stay
          Mark
          NZ

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X