Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reichsbahn RED-TOP Visor!

Gents:

As you all know, I have a weakness for obscure civil visors (and thats an understatement!) The first hat book I ever got was "Les Coiffures Militaires du Troisieme Reich" back in 1981--this book came out before the Shutt book (and I wish I still had mine--it basically fell apart after about 10 years of over-use). Out of all the hats in that book, 2 stick out in my mind--the first being a WSS General's Visor, and the 2nd a Reichsbahn (RB) Supervisor's cap. The reason that this hat stuck out to me was the richness of the red wool top, and that it was also the only hat in the book to have a red-top--you almost needed sunglasses to look at the picture of it, it was so bright .

Well, after 26 years, I finally scored one--and it was more that worth the wait. So, let's go on another one of my tours.....
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Front downward view (get those shades on!):
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Although Shutt's book describes them as having chinstraps, the ones I have seen do not (and mine never had any):
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The wool on this is described as red in the books, but it is actually more of an orange-red. The wool is a rich, pre-war doeskin--but that was the only "extra" on this cap:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Eye-level frontal view. These hats were red in order to increase the visibility of the supervisor in those congested Third Reich Bahnhofs:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

We've all heard of "white-tops"--this is a bona-fide "red-top"--note the standard Reichsbahn blue-wool trim below the bottom row of piping:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This hat, insignia-wise, is the first style w/o the winged wreath used after 1941. (My wife, who could give the proverbial "rat's behind" about this stuff, commented "isn't that the cutest little eagle"?!):
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Now, to the inside--it has the standard "wasserdicht" lining:
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Close up of the label. It is marked "Reichsbahn Kleiderkasse, Bezirk Nurnberg, 55 W", and is named to Hans Zeller.
                  Attached Files
                  NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

This cap, on the inside, is heavily worn, and defeats that myth that the wear on the inside should match the wear on the outside (the exterior is basically mint, with no damage or mothing, with the exception of 1 thing which I will show you later).

This interior is as spartan as they come--there is no silk or cotton lining to the side panels, and there never was one. (BTW, does cork count as being stirndruckfrei?!)
                    Attached Files
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The orange doeskin wool on the front 2 panels does have a backing--but the wool on the rear 2 panels is completely unlined:
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Now, for the markings--here is an ORIGINAL "Deutsches Leder" stamping (which dear Mr. Janke loves to put on his hats):
                        Attached Files
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Her date of birth--October 29th, 1937. Also note the lack of lining over the pasteboard.
                          Attached Files
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The seller stated the only thing that marred the hat was that it was dusty--its not dust--can you guess what it is?
                            Attached Files
                            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It's SOOT! I looked at it closely, and it is black residue from working in the Bahnhof--I was going to use a lint-roller and get it out, but it gives it too much character.
                              Anyway, here is a contrast of the overhang wool, which was not exposed to the soot from the locomotives:
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X