Pre RZM Allgemeine-SS Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre RZM Allgemeine-SS Hat

I was lucky enough to find this at last year's MAX Show. It has the early smooth band and the placement of the skull indicates that a first pattern skull was probably worn and the second pattern was placed through the same prong holes. There is evidence of an earlier eagle.

Bob Hritz
    Attached Files
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Attached Files

Comment

Interior
      Attached Files

Comment

Logo
        Attached Files

Comment

Great looking visor. I love the older smooth bands.

Comment

Hello Nick,

The entire hat is the smooth material, with no ribbing at all. It is the only one I have ever had, in this material. It has some damage (mothing) to the piping and is now on a hat block to help it regain it's original shape.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Bob,

Awesome cap! I really enjoy the pre-RZM and private-purchase pieces. I think I might have a distant "cousin" to your cap . . . it has the smooth band as well. When I received it from Houston many years ago, it had suffered from many years of storage in a crushed-up position. With a little "persuasion" over time, it has finally come back close to it's original shape. The exterior held up nicely through all of it's time in poor storage, but the interior did not survive the struggle quite as well. This one too has had an earlier eagle (I'm not sure about the skull) attached at one time, but somewhere along the road, someone replaced the eagle with a bad replica . . .

Brad
              Attached Files

Comment

The interior did not survive the test of crushed-storage so well . . . but on the brighter side of things, it does make for great study of construction techniques!

Brad
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Hritz View Post
                  I was lucky enough to find this at last year's MAX Show. It has the early smooth band and the placement of the skull indicates that a first pattern skull was probably worn and the second pattern was placed through the same prong holes. There is evidence of an earlier eagle.

Bob Hritz

Bob-

A beautiful and rare piece of SS headgear. I agree about the insignia being swapped - there is photographic evidence to support that all sorts of insignia was switched and swapped from cap to cap throughout the years. While some might consider "non-textbook" insignia a liability, I for one consider it to be part of what makes collecting these caps so interesting and challenging and accept non-regulation insignia (providing the wear and aging is consistent with the cap and “feels” right). You can never be 100% sure, but sometimes your gut just tells you it’s right. I know this wouldn’t be in your collection if you had any serious doubts

Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X