Gebirgsjäger visor -opinions wanted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gebirgsjäger visor -opinions wanted?

I tried to show you pics of my Gebirgsj******228;ger visor not so long ago, but the pics were too small.

If you follow this link, you could see bigger pictures.

http://fotocenter.aol.de/galleries/m...169050133421.1

Clicking on the pics makes them bigger. If you click on the word Vergr******246;******223;ern, they will become bigger again...

Any comments are welcome.

Regards
    Thorsten
    Last edited by Mado; 01-17-2007, 11:37 AM.

Hi Mado,

nice cap, late war..... but.....

regards
    wolfyyyyyy

Comment

My quick take. The body is of pretty "fuzzy" wool...and the sweatband and visor looks questionable. Is the underside of the visor pebbled instead of cross-hatched?

Paul

Comment

Also the missing rhomboid sweatshield despite the "new" condition of the interior doesn't instill confidence either.

Paul

Comment

Isn't this a Janke hat? Look at the black thread (not bullion) used on the cockade?

IMO There are So many things are wrong with this one.

Comment

No, I think a Late War....

Nicky ?....?

regards
            wolfy.

Comment

The underside of the visor is cross-hatched .
              I saw this type of wool on many late war caps. So I don´t think it is a problem.

The sweatshild is not plastic.

More opinions please

Comment

Mado, I personally can not tell you if it's an original or not from the pictures but for sure is not an one looker.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolften View Post
                  No, I think a Late War....

Nicky ?....?

regards
                  wolfy.
                  Nicky says I no likey

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                    Nicky says I no likey
                    What´s wrong with the cap in your opinion? The cocade is definatelly not Jancke.

Comment

Mado, NTZ is the holy bible lol
                      the final opinion is sad but real....

regards
                      wolfy.

Comment

It is a 60’s fake IMHO. We are going to need to start a good thread on these so-called late war visors and pin it. It is about time we put to bed the late war cap thing. The first thing is the visor. It is not Vulcan fiber. I don’t mind seeing a non-crosshatched Vulcan fiber visor but this is the wrong material also. The lining is your typical late war Erel material. Both in color and weave. That needs to be addressed once and for all too. The sweatband may or may not be period. These dark brown bands were seen in political and some SS visors but very rarely on a Heer. The cap band is not in the proper material either. This looks like some form of dyed wool. The exterior material and piping does not look period either. Here is a pic of a 60’s fake with the exact same visor. No offence to the poster but we keep going over the same things all the time. We need something pinned.

Conveniently you have a nice piece of period paper stuck in the visor to snug that fit. Well another trick of the fakers. I have had a few real visors with paper in them but this one is not even in the position they are usually found in. Then on top of it the classic orange sponge. Another one I have seen a lot to give it that period look. Can you pull off the sponge and get a clean shot of the inside at the front of the cap? I am sure we will have some more red flags behind it.
                        The one thing I find odd is that we see visors like this all the time on dealer sites and posted on the forum. They are all called “late war”. The funny thing is they seem to out number real early period visors 20 to 1. How is this possible? The big build up for the most part was between 1938 and 1943. Wouldn’t it make sense that we would seem much more of the early type visors than the so-called late war ones? Sorry I am a bit jaded.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by NTZ; 01-17-2007, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I have to agree with Nick. The thread on the cockade is not the standard Janke pattern, but I question any visor with a thread cockade. The wool is also very fuzzy, which is also a red-flag to me.
                          Anyway, thanks for posting it, as these repros always throw out something new to me.
                          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The cap is a fake! Imagine how uncomfortable wearing the cap would be w/ that 'fold' at the front...

LATE WAR....it is constant but lots of people overlook the obvious! Leather sweatband...naw! EXPENSIVE bullion...naw! CHEAP outer material in combination....naw!

The sponge and news print.....clever but overdone for the last 40 years or so!

The only thing it's missing is a date stamp in the leather
                            Regards,
                            Dave

Comment

visor

I do not like the look of that visor either , but I do want to say that I had a Vet aquired, right out of the attic, late war EREL with that same color lining, dark brown sweatband and bullion insignia. So they did make them with these materials.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Sayle F; 01-17-2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X