Celluloid cap band stiffener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celluloid cap band stiffener?

Has anyone ever seen, or have an original Navy cap with a Celluloid cap band stiffener? Or I guess, on any other type pf cap?I know that this is found once in a while on best quality original Imperial German navy caps, but has anyone seen it on a Third Reich cap? Thank you. Tom

I do. On both Kaiserliche-Marine Schirmmützen and Teller pattern for Matrosen (Other Ranks) caps. I remember seeing celluloid cap band stiffeners on Third Reich Kreigsmarine visors when I collected that era. Just to be sure I was not hallucinating (That Nazee stuff has been gone a long time) I asked my friend Peter Whamond, and he stated that it is quite a common feature of original 3rd Reich KM visors that he gets into the Guild, and it is often seen on the Teller pattern for Matrosen. The typical cardstock on army visors, does not hold up well to the moist environment on board ships, while celluloid does.

Celluloid was introduced in 1863 and was well established by 1900 in use for movie film. A thick version of celluloid is what is found on such things as 1st war gas mask lenses, map cases etc. On a navy cap, it's the same material. It makes perfect sense to use a strip of celluloid for the band, as unlike cardboard it is water-proof, thin, and retains it's shape pretty well. However, cheaper caps probably used cardstock, and I suspect a celluloid cap band stiffeners was an "up-grade" option.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X