Cloth Headgear reference books . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloth Headgear reference books . . .

It seems to me that we have so much discussion and inquiry about the need for good quality and thorough reference books specifically dedicated to cloth headgear. Why has nobody stepped up to the task as of yet? I would suspect that if this could be done so well for dagger collectors, it could be done just as nicely for cloth headgear collectors as well!

I would like to know how everyone feels about this subject, and if someone really could pull it off - please chime in and show your support! Maybe we'll get lucky and inspire someone to bear the task!

Brad

"The collector's guide to cloth Third Reich military headgear" by Gary Wilkins, ISBN: 0-7643-1428-9.

KR
    Peter

Comment

Gary’s book is a must for all cap collectors but with all due respect it is an overview of visors and not any type of detailed reference. I think what Brad is looking for is a book the gets into in-depth details of cap construction, construction traits of certain mainstream makers, how to look for red flags regarding Frankenstein visors, out-and-out fakes, etc.

I am in 100% agreement with Brad that there should be something put out. With that being said I have already done some in-depth studying of certain period makers, modern fakes, Latvian fakes, Frankenstein’s and such. I would love nothing more than to get together with my fellow cap collectors and compare notes (Ben, Dave). Publishing a book of this type is not only a thankless job but one that will cost much more than you could ever earn. Just ask Gary Wilkins and his book is a top seller.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter J. View Post
        "The collector's guide to cloth Third Reich military headgear" by Gary Wilkins, ISBN: 0-7643-1428-9.

KR
        Peter

Peter,

I think we are all aware of this series of reference books, but if you are familiar with the Beaver uniform books and the Wittman dagger books, I think we could all agree that study on a similar level of depth would be well warranted at this day and age on this particular subject.

Not that the Wilkins books are poor, but I just feel that we now have more updated information and better imaging technology that could be utilized to produce a nicely consolidated great series of books for all to enjoy!

Thanks, and kind regards to you as well!

Brad

Comment

Comment

Brad, I can only but concur with what you say

KR
            Peter

Comment

I think Dave Kane should put up BenVK and myself for a week at his place. We could hash something out. His daughters can show us the town.

Just kidding Dave

Comment

Nick, are you drunk ? lol
                Last edited by Wolften; 12-07-2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolften View Post
                  Nick, are you drunk ? lol
                  Not yet but it would have been a good excuse when Dave kills me

Comment

You all should really start reading the series: "Headgear of Hitlers Germany" by Saris. It is published by Bender.

Loads of regulations, period photographs, great photo's of the different type of caps, period ads etc

Volume 4 is available now for a few months and many more volumes to come.

Truly a must for any headgear collector

Last edited by Ernst-H; 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

There are really none out there today.
                      Wiklins book is about the best there is and brought books on this topic to a new standard but we (visor collectors) need better resources.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
                        I think Dave Kane should put up BenVK and myself for a week at his place. We could hash something out. His daughters can show us the town.

Just kidding Dave
                        Now that's a great idea!

Seriously though, I'd love to contribute to this kind of project. It's just finding the time though isn't it.

Comment

I'm sure finding the time would be difficult for anyone, but I sure hope someone with the knowledge and dedication takes up the task some day!

Brad

P.S. I'll admit, the Saris books are good too, but they still don't capture the subject matter on the same level of standards that the Wittman books have for daggers!

Comment

An in-depth, detailed comprehensive reference is definitely needed.

I for one second NTZ's idea for BenVK et al to begin work immediately!

In all seriousness, there would be overwelming support from this forum, as well as any number of beautiful examples from the membership.

Comment

Hi to all,

I am wondering why you people keep saying that no comprehensive cloth headgear references exist today.

In my previous post I showed two covers from the series "Headgear of Hitlers Germany" by Saris (published by Roger Bender).

Here is the content of the series (which up till now is 4 volumes big)

Volume 1:
                              Reichsheer/Heer
                              German Motorised Company
                              Deutsche Volkssturm
                              Reichsmarine/Kriegsmarine
                              Reichsluftwaffe/Luftwaffe

Volume 2:
                              Waffen-SS
                              Legion Condor
                              Air, Veterans & Patriotic Struggle Organizations
                              Freikorps

Volume 3:
                              Hitlers headgear
                              NSDAP
                              Political Leaders
                              NS-Frauenschaft
                              Deutscher Arbeiterfront (DAF)
                              SA

Volume 4:
                              Schutzstaffel der NSDAP (ie Allgemeine SS etc)
                              Nationalsozialistisches Automobil Korps (NSAK)
                              Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahr Korps (NSKK)

Up till now the series is about 1900 pages in total. It will grow in the future when all the other organizations will be covered in similarly detailed studies.
                              Volumes 1 and 2 are out of print but can be found on ebay, dealersites or militaria shows.
                              Volumes 3 and 4 are still available from Roger Bender.

The series only deals with Cloth headgear.

The series on cloth headgear that you all say you want but cant find is allready available

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X