Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinion on WH Police visor cap

Dear All,

I have noticed a rather nice (and quite rare) FeldGendarmerie EM/NCO visor cap fro sale on the Regimentals website. You will find the link below.

http://www.regimentals.co.uk/shop/vi...=31607a&phqu=4

I would quite like to have your opinions on the piece which I am considering to buy both on the quality and the price aspects.

To me the cap looks OK, not new but still quite original (I wonder however why the chincord button is placed so high up... a bit puzzling!?!?).

Thanks in advance for your contributions.

Kind regards

Alex
    Last edited by aterrasse; 10-22-2006, 11:42 AM.

I would stay far away. How does an EM/NCO cap get sold through the "Offizier Kleiderkasse"? EM/NCO's were either pure private purchase bought directly through a retail outlet or government contract pieces. Also note the chin strap button placement.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
      I would stay far away. How does an EM/NCO cap get sold through the "Offizier Kleiderkasse"? EM/NCO's were either pure private purchase bought directly through a retail outlet or government contract pieces. Also note the chin strap button placement.
      I agree Nick,but the visor parts look original.Is this then a so called Frankenstein,original parts,but put together after the war by someone??

Comment

Originally posted by REMUS View Post
        I agree Nick,but the visor parts look original.Is this then a so called Frankenstein,original parts,but put together after the war by someone??
        I don’t think I would go as far as saying that with the photos at hand. Although it is entirely possible. I guess for me I know the lining came from an officer’s cap and I can see the chinstrap has been added so what else is wrong with it? If the cap was striped of insignia and it was restored by a collector why put an EM/NCO strap on it? Personally I wouldn’t waist my times to find out the answers.

Comment

Thank you gentlemen. I failed to notice the Kleinderkasse marking in the interior and it is also true that the chintrap does not make much sens where it is located - it should be placed much lower on the band.

The cap has been altered, there is no doubt. Conclusion: it can stay where it is...

Kind regards

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by aterrasse View Post
            I failed to notice the Kleinderkasse marking in the interior

So did I, it flew right by me on a first look.

Comment

There are a few questionnable caps on that site, just from a quick look.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by DonC View Post
                There are a few questionnable caps on that site, just from a quick look.

Don
                Yes indeed.

Comment

I do not wish to be disparaging to anyone, but it is quite a shame that a dealer such as Regimentals which is, in the UK at least, a reknown source for TR militaria, comes to sell questionnable items.

You are right, NTZ, Donc and Remus, there are quite a few unusual pieces of headgear on that site. I also find prices very much on the hight end of the market (even for UK market!!).

For sure, I would never venture into the very tricky world of TR steel helmet with them.

Thank you again for your valuable assistance.

Alex

Comment

As with all sites, know what you are buying before parting with your cash.

Comment

Without closer photos of the stitching around the sweatband, it's not really possible to say whether this is a Frankenstein.

If it is not a Frankenstein, then with regards to the OR chin strap and buttons rather than officer chins trap and buttons, it is true that evidently someone at sometime has downgraded this cap from officer to OR (based on the OK on the sweatshield).

However, while some might have a problem with re-officer-izing the cap with original officer strap and buttons, I personally would not. So if that's the only problem with the cap, and you want an officer version (and if the rest of the cap is good), then buy it and replace the OR strap and buttons with those of an officer.

Comment

Thank you for your comment Lignemaginot, but I must admit that I am amongst those very annoying and picky collectors who can only put up with completely untouched items.

The fact is that the mere thought of knowing that I have in my collection something which I have had to upgrade/downgrade makes me feel unconfortable.

It is by no means a criticism, only a very personal view on the way I approach my hobby.

Kind regards

Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X