No announcement yet.

Fake tropical cap alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willi: His join date was "2011"; that's a helluva long time to keep talking about the same hat! You'd think by now the rest of us would FINALLY get the chance to see it, along with all the others he has BOUGHT, BOUGHT, BOUGHT.

Comment

Actually fellow WAF members I am not very computer user friendly, but I AM however Forum MANNERS friendly so this is all I will say about this matter. I have 2 caps that my daughter said she will be happy to post on here for me when she comes to visit in June and show me how to do this myself. Then you will get a look at a few of my M-40 DAK caps most of which where vet deals from over the years. As just a matter of fact for those wondering...uh huh. I know how to E-mail off my hard drive photos and I am a member in another pay to be a member site that is very easy to shoot pictures to some well known members in there that are the experts in here. (No Names) BUT as soon as my Daughter comes to visit she will help me solve the problem I have posting in here and lay everyone's fears to rest. There are a number of experts who have seen my under heavy lock and key collection of DAK caps that know I know what I am looking for when I buy caps of this nature. But over the years and when I started collecting (way before there were reproductions at all) due to the price/ the smaller amounts left untouched and the fakers I ask in here because I have some 40's that are lesser known or unknown mom and pop manufacturers that I simply want to see if someone in our WAF forums have ever heard of before. I will be happy to share once I know how to post pictures in here. Thanks fellow WAF members who have shared what you know with me since 2011 in here or other sites, I thank you all. Next time any of you fellows come down to New Orleans, make sure to drop by and see the former D-Day now National WW II museum. We have some amazing items on display. As a donor myself and with the help of many donations from our fantastic vets that were there and the help of Mr. Tom Hanks.... we are pretty proud. See Ya

Comment

Sir,
        You could possibly speed things up by answering my PM to help you post images?
        Regards,
        Mark
        NZ

Comment

May I ask the date in your cap ?

I suspect that some of the answers that you seek lie in this thread;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...light=soutache

Here is an example of some of the content,

"Caps made later in 1941 show that a larger number of manufacturers and from different parts of Germany were supplying the Army with the Afrikamütze. These later 1941 dated caps showed a few differences when compared to the earlier 1941 made caps, for example a new type of lighter cotton/synthetic material being used by a small number of firms.

The very first uniform items, caps and tunics/breeches/trousers/shorts, were to my knowledge all manufactured within the geographical areas covered by Wehrkreis III (Berlin/Brandenburg) and Wehrkreis VIII (Silesia) already referred to above. The close proximity of the location of unit base depots and the location of factories making tropical uniforms would indicate surely that it was faster and more efficient to process all uniform by the central issuing depot(s) in Berlin, drawing uniform items manufactured in close range and not going across the boundaries that separated one Wehrkreis from another. We can see by looking at the firms making the early field caps that the factories were located within the borders of the two Wehrkreise. I have yet to see a 1940 dated tunic or other main uniform part (breeches, trousers and shorts) that was not stamped with a “B40” that would indicate manufacture within the area serviced by the Army central clothing depots in Berlin. This to my mind helps to explain the high number of 1941 dated uniforms that carry the “B41” stamp, showing manufacture in the areas of Wehrkreis III and Wehrkreis VIII, feeding material to the Berlin clothing depots(s). I believe the Army would have simply reactivated the contracts it had put in place back in late 1940 for the manufacture of tropical uniform for the 3rd Panzer Division by placing new orders with these same firms. In early 1941 it was another Panzer Division that had be to outfitted with tropical uniform, the 15th Panzer Division. However tropical uniforms made later in 1941 show a variety of other main issuing depot stamps as manufacture expanded and involved more firms located across other parts of Germany.

I know there is a belief held by a number of advanced collectors that one other firm manufactured the tropical field cap in 1940, a factory located in another Wehrkreis, not one of the six firms I have listed. If this was so it would be the only example of cotton tropical uniform made in 1940 by a factory not located within Wehrkreis III or Wehrkreis VIII. (I am not including items such as tropical boots and pith helmets we know were not manufactured solely in these areas.) Why would the Army give a contract to one firm sending its material first to a main issuing depot in another city thus making for double handling and logistical problems in transferring the caps from one Wehrkreis administrative centre to another. It makes no sense to believe caps attributed to just one firm alone were made outside the areas served by the Berlin Army clothing depot(s). For this reason, and based on other critical and objective criteria, I do not believe these other caps were made in 1940."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X