Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luftwaffe General's Visor - any thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hat

I'm limited in experience,

I don't like the smooth under surface of the visor and I don't like the material (cotton fabric??) that is sewn between the sweatband and the visor to act as a cushion.
    I haven't seen the lettering under the sweat daimond that color of gold before either.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by mjfur; 03-04-2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Are you guys kidding? This is an out-and-out repro, from top to bottom. There is not a stitch on this thing that says "original". Sorry to be so brutal, but I wouldn't even know where to start with explainaing why this is a piece of crap.
      Clive

Comment

Cap

Glad to know my instincts were correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Lignemaginot
          Are you guys kidding? This is an out-and-out repro, from top to bottom. There is not a stitch on this thing that says "original". Sorry to be so brutal, but I wouldn't even know where to start with explainaing why this is a piece of crap.
          Clive
          Amen to that!

Comment

Nothing else can be said regarding the cap's pedigree......fake all the way!!

However, all should take note of the manufacturing technique of attaching the sweatleather and visor!!!

Add Erel to the sweatband etc etc...
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Bogus, 100% bogus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane
                Nothing else can be said regarding the cap's pedigree......fake all the way!!

However, all should take note of the manufacturing technique of attaching the sweatleather and visor!!!

Add Erel to the sweatband etc etc...
                Dave pointed out something interesting. The stitching technique is exactly patterned after the Erel technique. Fake but it looks like considerably more effort went into this one as opposed to most. Now lets see if that stitching ends up on a fake Erel.

Comment

Originally posted by junior
                  Bogus, 100% bogus.
                  Junior ...... How old are you?

Do you speak from experience or ..... just raising your counter?

Comment

Well - I must say the voting here seems to be telling me I'm quite the idiot to have invested in this. No real evaluation, just statements of fact "100% bugus", etc. Not all of us are as versed as some so I was hoping for detail such that I might 'learn' something. No offense guys but I thought this forum was to share information. I'm a newbie by all of your standards - try to educate me a bit.

When I cross ref Clemens Wagner on this forum I find a number of other photos showing similar traits to mine (that your not liking) so just telling me the color of the printing or some such vague reference to something you don't like or haven't seen doesn't help me learn anything. When Henry Ford introduced colors other than black in his cars I'm sure some of you would've said 'that red car couldn't be a Ford'. Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Steiner
                      Junior ...... How old are you?

Do you speak from experience or ..... just raising your counter?
                      Steiner, no offence but somebody does not have to be 483 years old to realise if something is a fake. Trust me, junior has done more homework here than many of as put together.

Comment

Late war Cello Luftwaffe General visors are always questioned when exhibited, despite the fact that they did exist during the period, and despite the fact that even the flat smooth under-bill is a feature that does appear on a minority of hats. That's why I stick to the bullion examples.

Comment

Thanx Craig. I love the bullion caps myself; the aging speaks to me. Would love to eventually add one (or two) to my collection but one must couple what's on the market with funds when they are available thus, in the case of my Luftwaffe Generals, the cello. The non-waffled visor information is good to hear from someone who's name I recognize as credentialed.

Can you tell me anything else about Clemens or comment on anything else you see?

Thanx again - Rick C.

Comment

Remember - the non-honeycombed visor that is original is in the minority. The best rule of thumb is to stick with the honey-combed example.

Comment

Acknowleged and thank you for confirming that a smooth visor is NOT the death knell of the cap. Anything else you see or can comment on?

PS: Great set of rare General's shoulderboards on your site site by the way! If business wasn't so slow I would be all over them.

Comment

material sewn between sweat band and visor issue - photo at page 278 in Gary Wilkins book says: "Note the extra section (grey color) added to the bottom of the sweatband at the forehead, which tapers away at the temple area." Would this explain what you're all looking at & concerned about? Rick C.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X