Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sweat band restoration: Help!

Guys,
    I recently acquired a nice pice of headgear (WWI British, actually) that has a nice condition, supple leather sweatband which has simply become unstitched from the cap. The connection is leather sweatband to cotton cloth which is then stitched to the fur felt hat material (see pic).
    The sweatband is only stitched to the hat at about 30% of the location, and if I did a nice enough job 'restoring' the cap, it would look great. Any suggestions on how to go about this?
    Thanks, Lee
    Attached Files

Any advice out there?

Maybe I posted this in the wrong section, but I figured since this is the predominant hangout of the headgear buffs, somebody must have some experience with this ...

Comment

Hi Lee
      personally I don't see this as a big problem. Go to eBay and get a spool of period thread and begin a stitch starting on the inside of the cap and then start threading to the leather in the same direction. Takes a bit of patience but not too dificult. -Mike

Comment

Patience is the key. You'll probably make mistakes to start with but you can always undo the stitching and start again.

Comment

Try to pick up an old felt hat at a charity shop and practice on that until you're satisfied with the results first...good luck!

Comment

In my opinion- don't touch it, you will loose the authentic look after restoring, I think this is minor damage, and doesen't make your item cheaper

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X