No announcement yet.

Inf transitional chrusher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that this has a bearing on authenticity BUT how much is /was the cap..Looks to me like the cap has been together for some time..As Dave Kane knows and said..I might not be in the configuration it was newly made in but I think it might be period alterations!!Billbert

Comment

Jacques, here's an example to which you might compare...

The chinstrap left its mark on the leather visor and the stitching is 'hidden' by the bottom piping
      Attached Files
      Regards,
      Dave

Comment

Also, note the 'fit' of the wreath.....
        Attached Files
        Regards,
        Dave

Comment

If I may add my opinion here, I think you have an original visor that was probably de-nazified after the war, and had the insignia put.away. Some time later in life the wreath was reapplied, a little off center. It was probably put back together for a sale. When and where did you acquire the visor? Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

Peter you may be correct as after 60 years or so anything can happen!!

The core problem is the 'will to believe' and the 'acceptance' associated with it, which is getting less and less over the years.

There is such a demand for original items that new collectors are willing to accept 'odd', 'jeweler made', 'field made' and any other discriptor to authenticate a piece.

Have a look at the Crosses section....as interest grows so too the $$$ and the stories, suspicisions and explanations.
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Dave, Your assesment regarding the stitching and the attachment of the wreath is 100% spot on and well spotted. It does however seem to have been done a very long time ago. Based on the wear and repairs on the inside of the cap, I am pretty sure the cap is original, so is the insignia. When it was added is anybody's guess .

I have had a very close look and can find no evidence of any other, especially larger eagle(later version army eagle) ever having been on the cap. The piping also has a lot more wear and discoloration than showed in the picture, which makes it look very bright. It is very close to the picture that you have posted. The cap band is the Reichswehr light/khaki green and belongs ith the cap.

I personally think and agree with peter that some restoration work has been on the cap done on the cap. As long as the cap has not been put togethered, the insignia is original and correctly matching the wear, and evidence that it was on the cap before, I dont have a problem with it. I havent had the cap for a long time and paid $900 for it.

Comment

Hello Jaques, I was a bit taken back with the amount that you paid for the cap.

I realize that this stuff continues to grow in value but $900 really seems excessive for a cap that carries so much 'baggage' and questions.

The cap is at best an EM and not anywhere near a 'crush cap' and in the end worth (even w/out questions) no where near what you paid.

If you have a grace period get your $$ back and turn the $900 in to something w/out questions
                Regards,
                Dave

Comment

Dave, thanx for the feedback. I don't have the option to get a refund, so I will take my medicine and hang on to the cap. It also the only Reichswehr cap with old style insignia in my collection.

It might be a good idea to start thread to determine what is a good middle of the road price for various items. There are quite a few price related questions and queries at the moment on the the forum and it would be of great help to collectors, especially one's starting out.

Comment

from Canadian show prices,you would see a figure of $3-400.00
                    put on a pieced together cap...maybe a bit less on a good day.

Comment

I have decide to restore this cap to a Reihsheer transitional cap by adding this old style wreath. That is if I can find one. Any opinions on this? Ben If you are watching?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the cap again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This is an old pre cloth headgear forum thread. Can a moderator please move it to the cloth headgear forum. Many thanx. Jacques

Comment

Jacques, I would leave it the way it is. There is no telling when the wreath was sewn on. The alterations could be period, who can say? If you take the sewn-on wreath off there could be marks or discoloration underneath that might make it look worse.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X