Charlie Hinz, collector of collectors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charlie Hinz, collector of collectors.

I posted a similar thread in the Fallschirmjäger section, but this is very relevant here. The caps on the shelves will illustrate why. Charlie in front of a small part of his collection.

Exactly one year ago, on August 27, 2019 the collecting community lost one of the great members of our hobby. Charlie Hinz was one of the earliest of WWII collectors, beginning collecting in the early 1950s. Many reading this knew Charlie, but far more will not have known him. This is regrettable because Charlie exhibited everything positive about collecting. Charlie was an extremely wise, intelligent, and dedicated collector with a deep appreciation of military history. More than this, he was a great person; kind, generous, and modest. He was a wonderful husband to Felisa and father to Heidi and Karl. It was a great privilege to call Charlie a friend and a greater blessing to have him as a mentor.
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Cap number 1
    Attached Files
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

A fine fellow that is a legend in his own time...

What has happened to his AK collection ?

Comment

Hi Tim,

It is spread to friends around the world. Charlie began sending pieces to "good homes" years ago.

Cap number 2 in the photo. Charlie chose this cap for me, I did not choose it from his large collection of M40s. He didn't even give me a choice, "John, I have a cap in mind for you." Now I wish I could discuss with him in deeper detail his thinking for designating this particular cap. It is a rare manufacturer with beautiful wear and every day I appreciate his choice even more.
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
          Hi Tim,

It is spread to friends around the world. Charlie began sending pieces to "good homes" years ago.

Cap number 2 in the photo. Charlie chose this cap for me, I did not choose it from his large collection of M40s. He didn't even give me a choice, "John, I have a cap in mind for you." Now I wish I could discuss with him in deeper detail his thinking for designating this particular cap. It is a rare manufacturer with beautiful wear and every day I appreciate his choice even more.
          Just outstanding cap he made a very good choice for you John

Comment

Here is the link to the thread in Fj for anyone who would like to read more about Charlie.

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...r#post11755237
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Years ago I recall ex DAK collector Pete Hill talking about Charlie, sorry to hear of his passing.

Robt.

Comment

Thank you Robert, do you still talk to Pete? I have not seen him in years but still have some Luftwaffe tropical pieces that he passed along to me.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

You can see his wisdom in how he managed his collection. Each item is bagged to prevent damage or the spread of damage. Its out of the direct sunlight and clothing items are hung, not folded. Never met a bad Charlie. Charlie Suggs of Estill Springs, TN was my mentor.

Comment

This may have slipped by me..I had the pleasure of knowing Charlie at the Big Shows years ago..We shared the joys of headgear knowledge and a friendly fellowship on a first name basis..RIP PANAMA CANAL Charlie..
                    billbert

Comment

Thank you Robert, do you still talk to Pete? I have not seen him in years but still have some Luftwaffe tropical pieces that he passed along to me.
                      Pete left the hobby years ago and that was it.

Robt.

Comment

..Charlie Hinz was one of the earliest of WWII collectors, beginning collecting in the early 1950s. Many reading this knew Charlie, but far more will not have known him...More than this, he was a great person; kind, generous, and modest...
                        Greetings John,

Yes a credit to the collecting community; but more importantly a prince among men!

Although I did not kinow Charlie’s collection to the fullest, one of his better items had to have been the ‘Lt Rolf Kupfer grouping’ History of the group as written by Charlie below:

Rolf Carlos Arthur Kupfer was born on May 1, 1922 in Hamburg, Germany. In 1924 his parents,
                        Herbert and Martha Kupfer, along with Rolf, travelled to the Republic of Panama where they
                        established a successful import/export business. In time, two additional sons were born
                        to the Kupfer family: Hans, followed by Jürgen. In 1929 Rolf was enrolled in the prestigious
                        Colegio La Salle in Panama City from which he graduated in 1936. During this time, in
                        addition to his native German, he became fluent in both English and Spanish, as did his
                        brothers Hans and Jürgen.

In 1936 Rolf was sent back to Germany by his parents in order to complete his education, which
                        he accomplished in 1941. During this period he became very active in the Hitler Youth
                        movement, rising to the highest rank in his district. In August 1941 he enlisted in the
                        Wehrmacht and was assigned to 5th Panzer Regiment of 21st Panzer Division. Sent to Africa
                        in September 1941, where he served for the remainder of the campaign, he was awarded the
                        Iron Cross second class, Iron Cross first class, and Panzer assault badge in silver. One of the
                        highlights of his career, as related in a wartime letter to his brother, Jürgen, occurred at the
                        capture of Tobruk in June 1942 when he briefly served as an interpreter for General Rommel.

He attended officer candidate school and, having obtained his commission at the end of 1943,
                        was assigned to 27th Panzer Regiment of 19th Panzer Division. He served on the eastern front
                        in command of a Mk V Panther tank for the remainder of the war. At the close of the war Rolf
                        and members of his unit began making their way back to Germany. While passing through
                        Slovakia they were ambushed by partisans on May 15, 1945, and Rolf was tragically killed…
                        a full week after the war had officially ended.
                        Hans Kupfer followed in his brother’s footsteps. Sent to Germany to complete his education,
                        upon which he enlisted in the Wehrmacht, was assigned to a Panzer division as per his wishes,
                        and was subsequently killed in action on the eastern front.

The entry of the United States into the war in December 1941 found Jürgen and his mother in
                        Panama where they were detained and sent to Seagoville, Texas for internment. Jürgen’s
                        Father had passed away earlier that year. After the war Jürgen returned to Panama where he
                        became a successful businessman. He passed away in 1994.

It was my pleasure to eventually meet Jürgen and to be his friend for a number of years. It was
                        from him that I learned some of the details of Rolf’s military career, and he very kindly allowed
                        me to look through the fine photo albums kept by Rolf, and to examine his medals, award docu-
                        ments and his Ahnenpass. Additional information on Rolf came from his Wehrmacht personnel file,
                        a copy of which was obtained for me from the National Archives in Washington, D.C. It was
                        also through Jürgen that I was able to obtain some of Rolf’s uniform items and his Colegio La
                        Salle pin.

Charles J. Hinz

Attached Files

Comment

Certainly agree Mr. Singer. Have heard the story of the Kupfer brothers many times. That Rolf was killed after the war ended in such a way is sad and horrible.

Attached is a heavily worn chin cord from one of Rolf's hats. Jürgen gave this to Charlie and Charlie gave it to me.
                          Attached Files
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Fascinating story concerning the Kupfer family , and loss of two sons - thanks for taking the time to post that , tragic and not uncommon either. Very poignant items of history there.

Comment

I'm sorry to say that I didn't know Charlie, but I can easily see what a dedication he had to our hobby! The loss of talented historians and collectors such as Charlie Hinz -- who originated in the very early post-war days of TR study and collecting -- can never be regained. I pray that Charlie rests in peace!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X