New tropical side cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tropical side cap

Just got this Gebirg cap 8A4E36A2-EF9D-4A61-9178-0A4090E84896.jpeg 9B0D8DF8-24F8-4B3A-B377-821D8F19F48D.jpeg D080A6C1-1D45-4B77-BFA7-FDEE997DCF77.jpeg A5FDA0BF-B2EB-49CD-8BB5-4BE0E5F2D668.jpeg

Nice cap from a well known maker. This Waffenfarbe was shared by other units; Rifles, MG Batl.s, etc..

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Nice cap

Another Weissbach from the beehive cache. Don't see too many side caps from this maker with a green soutache. Notice the 3rd pattern cockade and 1941 date. The shade of green is correct for the GbJg, but as OSS points out it was common for all shades of green to be used.

Comment

Thanks Tim

mike

Comment

As I understand it, green waffenfarbe or a green soutache has a much broader meaning than just mountain troops Geb.Jag. when it comes to Afrika and German tropical uniforms.

A careful read of this study on the subject outlines the spectrum of possibilities; https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...roops?t=759198

The first two paragraphs of this link sum it up;

Green Waffenfarben (Arm of Service Colours) used by Rifle (or Motorised Infantry) Regiments in the German Army 1939-1941 (and other colours).

Many collectors feel there are still unanswered questions surrounding the fine detail of the transition of green arm of service colors in the Heer over 1939 - 1941 but in my opinion the essential facts are not in question. The pre-war motorized infantry regiments in the Panzer Divisions, known as "Rifle Regiments" (Schützen-regimenter), initially wore white piping, being infantry. However by 1938/39 the Army had recognized the specialized nature of their role and they were being assigned the light (sic) green also in use by Gebirgsjäger and Jäger, as infantry fulfilling a specialized infantry combat role. Brian Leigh Davis has written that in 1939 this colour had already been adopted (see his "Flags and Standards of the Third Reich") by at least one Schützenregiment.

Through my research I eventually learnt that this light green (hellgrün) while still in the process of being introduced was itself about to be replaced by the much lighter lime green (resedagrün) at the time in 1940 when the first tropical uniforms were being manufactured for the DAK. The evidence for a change over at this time is to be found in the mix of greens on the tropical uniforms issued in 1941, whether made in 1940 or in 1941. I understand from German sources that the decision to replace the hellgrün with resedagrün came about because of the rapid expansion of the Panzerwaffe in 1939/1940 and the consequent need to recognise the Schützenregimenter as an arm of service in their own right."

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X