A/K Overseas Hat - very nice on estand that needs to be seriously discussed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/K Overseas Hat - very nice on estand that needs to be seriously discussed

There is only one maker of the tropical side-caps that put 4 grommets in their caps that I have seen, know or have heard about. And this is not that maker;

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for....php?t=1047890

So we either have an obscure tropical cap maker of an unknown version of the 4 grommet tropical side-cap or we have a fake ???

For starters based on those poor quality photos, I do not know if I like what I can see of the trop cockade or possibly the material the liner is made from. The images are simply not clear enough for any certainty and add to the feeling things are wrong. Plus only a very limited number of known German cap makers, crimped the grommets that way. Again based on limited image quality, they could be real grommets but possibly the wrong colour for a 43 dated cap.

Adding to this confusion it has no turn-up that can be pulled down over the ears. I have never seen that on any German side-cap ever ??? It is made like billed tropical M40 with no bill or the bill has been removed.
    If the bill has been removed then that would explain a lot in terms of the turn up and grommets, but is it a fake with a removed bill ???

Also the edge of the circumference of the cap is sewn the wrong way round. The raw folded edge of twill is sewn over the red liner not under the folded edge of the liner so the folded raw edges of both can not be seen. I have only ever seen that on Czechoslovakia side-caps that have lost the leather sweatband. Has the sweatband been removed from a 2nd model billed trop M40 (fake billed trop M40 ?) I can see what looks to be where a line of sewing was at the very bottom of the circumference of the twill.

At the very least, better images are needed to determine if the basic trop cap which may have started life as a billed example is a real cap or a fake, before it was modified into a side-cap

It is weird in more ways than one and sold in 24 hours for US$425 before postage, However, not one I would want in my collection. What do others think ?

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 06-03-2020, 06:05 AM.

Pictures from the estand link
    Attached Files
    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Fake

For starters based on those poor quality photos, I do not like what I can see of the trop cockade or possibly the material the liner is made from. The images are simply not clear enough for any certainity and add to the feeling things are wrong. Plus only a very limited number of known German cap makers, crimped the grommets that way. Again based on limited image quality they could be real grommetsb but possibly the wrong colour for a 43 dated cap.
      Nice original M40 cap that has been cut down into a side cap
      Last edited by msteve21; 06-26-2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

The cap material is usually tucked in the liner along the edge. And has the stitching been removed around the entire cap ? Besides that the pictures are just terrible.
        Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
        teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

This is an original Karl Kubach M40 that has had the visor & sweatband removed, probably during the War.

But what happened to the rest of the thread ?

And the most recent posts on the Forum are from as far back as June 3 2020 ?? mods ? Where are the most recent threads ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
            This is an original Karl Kubach M40 that has had the visor & sweatband removed, probably during the War.

But what happened to the rest of the thread ?

And the most recent posts on the Forum are from as far back as June 3 2020 ?? mods ? Where are the most recent threads ?
            Everything posted between June 3rd to around June 25th has been lost to the failed old server.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X