No announcement yet.

Heer Tropical M40 Cap for Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't like the emedals cap. Apart from a number of small details, that definitely isn't the way Halfar applied the soutache at the factory. The stitching on the insignia is quite large compared to the ones that I had a quick look at in my collection.

Mark

Comment

I don’t like all the equivocating that goes on in an effort to substantiate a bad piece and placate someone who made a bad purchase. Welcome to the last dance in dumbtown.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
        ...Probably the best comparison is with this example sold by Virtual Grenadier that appears to have a second model trop cockade like the one shown on the left cap in my post number 18;

https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=3294

I have no reason to doubt the example sold by Virtual Grenadier so that is the type of line up with an accepted original that I like to see. It would appear that the Carl Halfar factory might have been running short of Panzer soutache or it was the tail end when they made this trop M40 sold by VG.
        Or it was a simple case of ‘sloppy placement’ as seen in this ‘Brandt” side cap.

B. N. Singer
        PS. Yes the example from Virtual Grenadier is original, being somewhat atypical having soutache and no visible sweatband, while dated 1942.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by B. N. Singer; 06-02-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by B. N. Singer View Post
          Or it was a simple case of ‘sloppy placement’ as seen in this ‘Brandt” side cap.

B. N. Singer
          PS. Yes the example from Virtual Grenadier is original, being somewhat atypical having soutache and no visible sweatband, while dated 1942.
          Yes I agree, it could be a machinist under pressure simply getting the job done.

However, the Germans wasted nothing in their production if possible. Thus I have a mental image of a machinist getting to very end of the roll of soutache. Left with the last piece of soutache, not quite long enough but could still do the job if sewn on a bit further up on the cap.

Whoever bought that CH billed trop M40 cap from Virtual grenadier, got a very nice cap at a very reasonable price for an original example with a Panzer soutache. Classic early 1942 production first model, just before the second models with sweatbands began,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
            I don’t like all the equivocating that goes on in an effort to substantiate a bad piece and placate someone who made a bad purchase. Welcome to the last dance in dumbtown.
            Robt.

My only interest in the Carl Halfar sold by emedals is to study what the fakers are and are not getting right or wrong, in the hope that I do not fall victim to such a cap.

However, the sub-contractor argument can not be totally dismissed out of hand. Because that could certainly be the case with this example sold by Virtual Grenadier that I would be more than happy to own;
            https://virtualgrenadier.com/sale_item.php?iid=6139

IMHO and experience, never say never but know your science and study, study and more study,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X