‘Interesting’ camo cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Interesting’ camo cap

Have at it gentleman, tear it up if needs be!

B. N. Singer
    Attached Files

Don’t know anything about wartime or postwar Italian camo..but it looks very appealing..Billbert

Comment

It’s innocent enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I already had the cap in my hand, I like it. This Things are always very difficult without a war time photo.
          Greetings Adrian

Comment

Would not mind owning that one. Nice once
            WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

I am surprised this cap is meeting with such approval. I would pass on it.

s/f Robert

Comment

Me too. A field made cap like this is very easy to make if you have some skill, and original fabric is still available and cheap.

Comment

That not make this one here a Fake. Matter of Price.

Originally posted by Ironcrown View Post
                  Me too. A field made cap like this is very easy to make if you have some skill, and original fabric is still available and cheap.
                  WWW.EDELWEISS-ANTIQUES.COM

Specialized in Uniforms, Mountain Troops and Heeresbergfuhrer

Comment

can you have photos of the details? thank you

Comment

Consider:

- Worn and seated original T-insignia on an otherwise new cap

- Worn original edelweiss on wool backing on an otherwise new cap

- Looks like a recycled used button, but could be the picture

- New cap. Inside seams show no signs of unraveling from washing or wear and look like they were cut yesterday, inside shows no sign of wear on top or sweatband, outside utterly mint from buttonholes to seam stitching.

- Obvious seam shift on front looks like conversion by the creator from a flapless tropical style to a M43 flap-type cap. Based on material match on thread, flaps and body, probably a re-do by the sewer when it was being built

What would cause me to reconsider:

- Solid provinence on this exact cap

I didn't want to leave this with a cryptic one-liner dismissing it, and provide some justification as to why it is a new and poorly made reproduction IMO. Again, stuff like this did get produced during the war and rock solid lineage to the war would change my initial opinion, but the cap on it's own merits - not for me.

s/f Robert
                      Last edited by RobertE; 04-18-2020, 06:55 AM.

Comment

The very worn insignia on a mint cap that shows no real wear indicates either a reproduction cap that someone chose to dress up with a salvaged original set, or a wartime cap that recycled insignia on a field made cap that never actually saw use.

Other variations exist, but to accept this cap without some serious lineage is beyond me.

s/f Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had the hat in my hand about 3 years ago. She made a good impression on me, but I didn't buy it at the time because it is often a question of faith with such pieces. I would not pay high prices there. At the same time, the following photo was also in an eBay auction. Not the same hat, but there are some parallels. The tent track material does not absorb the dirt like field gray wool. Therefore, the condition of the badges may different.

Greetings Adrian
                          Attached Files

Comment

In wartime Germany, nothing went to waste , especially material from surveyed uniforms and equipment, including what had been captured. As is the case with firearms and much else, the fact that an item shows little or no sign of use doesn't preclude its originality. I can recall an instance where a similar cap was panned as a fake which knowledgeable dealers accept as original which is interesting, especially when the matching gloves came with it.

Comment

Gentleman, my thanks to ALL who have taken the time/effort to comment; much appreciated!

More pictures for consideration. That hat IS well used, while Not being damaged.

B. N. Singer
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X