Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side Cap - Thoughts on authenticity?

Greetings,

I've had this side cap since I bought it in the mid-1970s. The sheer natural / honest wear and musty smell never gave me any reason to question its authenticity. Don't collect cloth items so I figured I post it here to get any thoughts about it. If I didn't capture aspects critical to authentication in the pictures - sorry - not sure what those would be exactly. Let me know and I can post more images. It does have a makers stamp outlined in a square box but it's illegible. Also, it appears to once have had a soutache as there are two small holes on each side of the lower front edge (faintly visible in the image of the front) Any thoughts appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Gregg
    Attached Files

I see nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Looks OK but a nice clear shot of the inkstamp would be good. Thanks.

Robt.
      Ps.... soutache removed cap.
      Last edited by RGD51; 04-11-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Here is a "better" picture of the stamp. Only the outline is visible and the first letter in the upper box, maybe a "B" or an "R."
        Attached Files

Comment

This is the only one i have in my files wich could match, a square box stamp separated in 3 smallers, the upper one bigger with 3 lines of letters, and the "K" could be close of fainted "B" or "R" :

derka

Comment

Wow, thanks Derka! That looks pretty close - even the lengths of the lines match up. Very interesting.

Gregg

Comment

Be sure and examine the holes in the cap body where the branch soutache was.... you can sometimes find some snipped colored threads that indicate what branch it was. I think the Kubach stamp aligns pretty good and he was a prolific maker.

Robt.

Comment

Excellent suggestion Robt! I just happen to have a microscope. Didn't see any signs of a snipped soutache in the hole - but just below the left side hole were a fair number of pink threads. Sorry the image isn't the greatest but it's an awkward item that is tough to keep from wiggling around.
                Attached Files

Comment

No surprise... looks panzer. Cheers, happy collecting!

Robt.

Comment

The cap looks all original to me and no doubt about the maker, well done Derka!

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for contributing their great insight and feedback! Much appreciated!

Gregg

Comment

This is the other very pleasant way of collecting imo.
                        derka

Comment

Nice earlier example.

B. N. Singer

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X