Luftwaffe General's Side Cap - Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe General's Side Cap - Opinions

Hi everyone - i'm considering acquiring some Luftwaffe General's headgear, and this is not a field I am overly familiar with. What are your thoughts on the side cap in the current Ratisbon's auction? It seems expensive, but this seems to be the way with Luftwaffe General's head wear for some reason.

Thanks in advance,

BC
    Attached Files

Beautiful cap as all Luftwaffe general's caps seem to be. These are a real minefield without provenance.
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

I love these bullion eagles

Mike

Comment

Anyone else wonder why it is called an "AUCTION" with starting prices so friggen high?????

Comment

Bad headgear eagle variant for me.

J-

Comment

Originally posted by JasonA View Post
            Bad headgear eagle variant for me.

J-
            Friends. I 'm also in the auction for this pilot. In what doubts?

Comment

Originally posted by Dmitriy Tver View Post
              Friends. I 'm also in the auction for this pilot. In what doubts?
              I will likely be in the minority here, as a lot of collectors seem to have no problem with this variant. But what I can say based on reviewing thousands of LW bullion eagles (officer and general rank) over the years is that this one is among a particular variant seen on countless pieces of LW headgear. Predominantly visors, albeit sometimes on overseas caps.

The gauge and the tone of the wire is off, the construction is lacking in typical detail of most period eagles, and this variant represents an overwhelming majority of examples seen in general rank headgear offered for sale in particular.

For me, these are post war. Although I’m guessing you’ll probably get a thumbs up from most. At the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with what you buy.

J-

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
                These are a real minefield without provenance.
                Exactly.

Comment

+2
                  Carlo

Comment

With respect, this entire hobby is a minefield but I’m not sure what benefit, to the current thread is, in harping on it unless you wish to be specific about something being wrong with the subject cap as Jason has.

Comment

With Jason A on this one, i dont like the eagle i cant tell you why but its just a gut feeling. Hat maybe ok but the eagle looks to be added at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Woodbyrne View Post
                        With Jason A on this one, i dont like the eagle i cant tell you why but its just a gut feeling. Hat maybe ok but the eagle looks to be added at some point.

I'm not seeing it. The eagle itself looks great, and the thread and stitching are totally acceptable. If it has been replaced or just re-stitched it is irrelevant.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X