Changing a visor caps piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing a visor caps piping

I have some old visor cap and want to use it for display purposes and was wondering if there would be some way to dye or change the colour of the piping on a visor cap?

cap

Pretty dumb kat

Comment

Yea..... just leave them be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why to screw things up?? Leave as is I'd say!

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyKoolKat View Post
          I have some old visor cap and want to use it for display purposes and was wondering if there would be some way to dye or change the colour of the piping on a visor cap?
          Sorry, what is the original color (maybe white?) and what is the color you would like to get (maybe pink?). Luckily you asked for advice before making such an aberration. If you touch the color, whatever the result, you will cancel its human and historical value and therefore it will be zero, not only from an economic point of view, but above all from a historical-scientific one. Make the display with the original that you have and that was born like this, perhaps of humble origins; it is always better than with the same but now unfortunately artifact, albeit apparently of a more noble ancestry. Finally, remember that the soldier who owned that visor may have seen so many beautiful and ugly things that you don't even imagine and that once it will be altered, there is no going back.

Best regards

Comment

The decision could be one you live to regret.

Comment

Pictures of the cap would be nice,to see exactly what your about to do. Original visor reproduction?
              Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
              teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I tried to post a follow-up but apparently it didn't go through. The visor cap I'm talking about is some cheap repro I bought. I was thinking about messing with it and seeing if I could make it more visually appealing and if I mess it up then it wouldn't be much of a loss.

Comment

The visor cap I'm talking about is some cheap repro I bought.
                  You should have said that at the beginning

Comment

Originally posted by Renaud View Post
                    You should have said that at the beginning
                    Yea I realize how it sounds now

Comment

Well. A false alarm. Not useless though, because it served to reiterate some basic concepts that many collectors forget in their frenzied buying and selling activity animated only by the desire to have more and more ... and forgetting instead that the study is the basis of everything.

Best regards

Comment

Here are a few photos that demonstrate what could happen when you attempt to make that alteration.

This cap was for Infanterie - and at one time in it's past, someone decided it would be much better off altered for Panzertruppen. Then, many years later, another person decided the previous alteration was not correct - and attempted to make a correction.

Although the pics here do not do it justice, the result was a less than desired effect . . . with bleed-through all throughout the fabric, and chemical deterioration to go along. So what everyone here is attempting to telling you, is something you would be very wise to pay attention to. Such a decision can have far-reaching effects into the future of your collectible.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I appreciate the input of everyone who has contributed to this threat and I understand the risks of doing such things to my reproduction visor cap although I must say that I still plan on altering my repro and my original query still stands.

Many Thanks.
                          Last edited by PrettyKoolKat; 02-16-2020, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X