Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art. Crusher cap

Hi guys
    would appreciate your time to share a thought about this one. .

Cheers
    Pete
    Attached Files

What is not to like, very nice cruscher. J

Comment

Agree with Jacques - Looks like a nice original cap to me

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
        What is not to like, very nice cruscher. J
        that it is missing an eagle?

Odd to see stitching above and below the piping. The crushers I have/had did not sport a celluloid because that would break if the cap was folded.

I can not rule out - also based on the visor reverse - possible reworked visor cap into crusher???
        Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 02-09-2020, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Looks like a period cap to me..Billbert

Comment

I think components are period and the eagle removed was there a long time. I do think it has undergone surgery what with all the exposed threads above and below center band. And I agree with the celluloid being an oddity that most crushers do not have as Tony has already stated. Also, on the 4th pic, it looks like a bit of glue was used to patch the area (the old scrape and glue trick).

An indepth look under the hood would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
              that it is missing an eagle?

Odd to see stitching above and below the piping. The crushers I have/had did not sport a celluloid because that would break if the cap was folded.

I can not rule out - also based on the visor reverse - possible reworked visor cap into crusher???
              Missing an eagle is not a problem, ever heard of denazified.

Comment

The celluloid sweatshield and errant stitching (in those areas) actually don't bother me. I wouldn't call this a true "feldmutze alter art," but rather just a schirmmutze with a leather brim that has flatwire insignia. It's not totally unheard of to see some sloppy stitching on these, either.

After looking at the pics again, I think the question is whether or not someone did some "surgery" and swapped out the original vulkanfiber brim for the leather one. Agree with KC1 that some additional photos would be helpful.

Comment

Agree looking more closely at the liner and visor, I wpould like to see better pics under the hood. Still liking it from the outside.J

Comment

Originally posted by jacquesf View Post
                    Missing an eagle is not a problem, ever heard of denazified.
                    Jacques, really what does this difficult word denazified mean? Never heard of it in all my 30 years of collecting. Thanks buddy!
                    Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 02-10-2020, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BaselA View Post
                      a schirmmutze with a leather brim that has flatwire insignia. After looking at the pics again, I think the question is whether or not someone did some "surgery" and swapped out the original vulkanfiber brim for the leather one.
                      Thank you - my points exactly. And yes I do think someone swapped it out - and most likely a collector/dealer and not a period professional job. So a few additional points of what is not to like for me besides it being denazified.

Not a cap I would want in my collection. Enough no issue crushers on the market to leave this one well alone.

Comment

Sorry for my ignorance. Since when do one remove an eagle and the stitching remains intact? I have a WSS jacket that suffered the same stupid treatment to the arm's eagle. The stitching has remained intact so that the torn eagle, albeit in tatters, can still be partially rebuilt. I don't see the same effect here

The remains of the upper eagle' seam seem to be made with long stitches and even the difference in the color tone of the cloth does not convince me very much, as if it had been unnaturally helped.

Only my opinion, of course ...

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by enorepap View Post
                          the difference in the color tone of the cloth does not convince me very much, as if it had been unnaturally helped.
                          Yes after taking another look that does look unnaturally discoulored. Well, one more thing not to like.

Comment

Regarding the removal of the eagle..I have seen several original caps with the insignia removed in a very similar way..I do not know how they did it but it was done with great purpose..probably by the wives or sisters..And I’m not talking about the phony baloney style done on repros to make it look like original insignia had be attached..when in fact it was not..JMHO BILLBERT

Comment

I wouldn't say anything nonsense, but it seems to me to remember that this cap was (or perhaps still is) on eBay Germany. So I think it will be very difficult to see other photos, especially those of the inside, which could reveal if the leather visor has been reattached and if there are holes on the cardboard. So at the moment, the most logical explanation is: an artillery cap ... The only positive point, in my opinion, is that, according to the available images, there are no visible side holes for the buttons of the chincords.

Best regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X