Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RODO SS Buckle

Hi everyone.
    I posted this buckle in the SS forum and had some further questions to which I was advised to post here, hopefully to get some more details about this particular manufacturer.

My questions were mainly

1) was this colour buckle issued specifically to the Waffen-SS or did other civil branches use the colour also?

2) I was told period Waffen-SS photos are hard to find of them actually wearing the "green" buckle, and commonly they were alluminium or a different colour on the front. This made the "green" somewhat hard to find, if so could anyone narrow down where this colour would have been used or for what purpose?

3) with other companies making "green" buckles during the war (amongst other colours) is it true RODO was the only one to exclusively finish their SS buckles in this "green" colour?

I know this is asking alot, but would greatly appreciate anyone shining some light on these questions. Any links or suggestions for research would be great too if need be. I would just like to know as much as I can about who most likely would have used this buckle.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

For reference, the man in the center here is not wearing a silver buckle. It is somewhat darker and very similar in tone to the grenades in his belt (which were green) and his camouflage uniform.
    It would make sense to use the green colour with camo uniforms, although many can be seen with silver versions. Maybe this is a good example of the green (feldgrau) buckle in use?
    Attached Files

Comment

...and here is the same buckle I posted earlier, just in a more natural light. The feldgrau colour is very apparent here.
      Attached Files

Comment

Researching further, it seems I have answered my first question. The "green" painted SS buckles were issued to the enlisted men of the waffen SS.
        Now the question is, who within the Waffen SS would have used the green buckles? Especially as you commonly see period photos of them wearing silver.
        And with companies like RODO in particular who made predominatly green finished buckles, where are all the enlisted men wearing them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lj90 View Post
          Researching further, it seems I have answered my first question. The "green" painted SS buckles were issued to the enlisted men of the waffen SS.
          Most likely yes. RODO stands for Robert C. Dold in Offenburg and this maker made buckles for the SS only by the end of war (in other words not likely before 1944). By that period there was no need IMO for another supplier/maker of SS buckles for other branches of the SS like the Allg.SS. The Overhoff firm was plenty able to supply them (and matter of fact also did supply some green painted as well). Why Dold was chosen?? There is no documentation available to answer this question or some others you are asking. We can just use out logic for the moment.

Now the question is, who within the Waffen SS would have used the green buckles? Especially as you commonly see period photos of them wearing silver.
          Probably front lines units already wearing camouflaged equipment.

And with companies like RODO in particular who made predominatly green finished buckles,
          Dold made only green painted SS buckles. There is indeed few variants of shades ranging up to black but it is probably just bad quality green paint.
          Assmann already made green painted SS buckles in 1940. They were produced way less in quantities than RODO's but already there. Then in 1943 the supply by Assmann of greens increased a lot without reaching the number produced later by Dold.

where are all the enlisted men wearing them?
          Probably KIA by now with their buckles burried somewhere. I believe front lines had other things to do than taking candid shots in uniform, specially facing Russians...
          Jean Pierre Redeuilh
          All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

[QUOTE=I believe front lines had other things to do than taking candid shots in uniform, specially facing Russians...[/QUOTE]

There are many late war photographs existing which clearly show the Waffen SS at the front, many wearing camouflage also. Respectfully, they weren't candid shots, simply photographs of the troops at war. Essential for propaganda purposes, which continued even in the late stages of the war.

Comment

There are many late war photographs existing which clearly show the Waffen SS at the front, many wearing camouflage also. Respectfully, they weren't candid shots, simply photographs of the troops at war. Essential for propaganda purposes, which continued even in the late stages of the war.
              Yes, but on those pictures how many are able to tell which color was the buckle worn? And whatever the buckle was, it is most probably buried under east European soil by now, along with its former wearer. Candid shots were mostly made at a studio by a photograph. On those one can tell for sure the color of the buckle but not many were green (at least I didn't see any myself).
              Jean Pierre Redeuilh
              All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply
                Yes, it is difficult to acertain from period black and white photographs/footage exactly what colour the buckles were.

Another member Vladislav mentioned that people tend to find these RODO buckles (ground dug) near the panther line and where the Latvian SS division were situated. I'm trying to establish if these late war RODO buckles were predominatly issued to divisons such as these (Latvian legion for example) and not so much to the Germanic SS men.
                That is of course unless the pictures we have simply don't show them the Germans wearing them, for whatever the reason.

Either way I would have expected the green finish to be associated with the WSS camouflage gear. To me this makes the most sense.

Comment

I'm trying to establish if these late war RODO buckles were predominatly issued to divisons such as these (Latvian legion for example) and not so much to the Germanic SS men.
                  That is of course unless the pictures we have simply don't show them the Germans wearing them, for whatever the reason.
                  But in such condition, what about the so many RODO SS buckles found in US veterans's hands?
                  The day we will have a very clear understanding of everything done, and the reason it was done, during the Third Reich is certainly not for tomorrow (if that day happens....)
                  Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply
                    Yes, it is difficult to acertain from period black and white photographs/footage exactly what colour the buckles were.

Another member Vladislav mentioned that people tend to find these RODO buckles (ground dug) near the panther line and where the Latvian SS division were situated. I'm trying to establish if these late war RODO buckles were predominatly issued to divisons such as these (Latvian legion for example) and not so much to the Germanic SS men.

Either way I would have expected the green finish to be associated with the WSS camouflage gear. To me this makes the most sense.

Please stop doing that, please stop don't force looking for connection with wss camo gear ( like you do in wss section and trying to do here ).

This buckle were not made specialy for use with camo gear AT ALL !
                    The reason why it is painted green is VERY SIMPLE ; the RODO in first place was making army buckles, than, in late war period, start to make wss buckles, so, to simply cut the cost and use avaible resources start to paint them in green ( like the army one ).

Few makers were made then in green ; for example Assmann ( who made them in green in short terms - probably because of the shortages with paint ), as well as Overhoff ( as mentioned above). None of them made them specialy for use with camo gear ( each soldier could simply oversprey them in green at any moment if wanted or need ).
                    They were aslo not made for any specific unit ( at least until any specific documents won't show up to prove they were ).

Comment

Originally posted by anmarlodz View Post
                      Please stop doing that, please stop don't force looking for connection with wss camo gear ( like you do in wss section and trying to do here ).

This buckle were not made specialy for use with camo gear AT ALL !
                      The reason why it is painted green is VERY SIMPLE ; the RODO in first place was making army buckles, than, in late war period, start to make wss buckles, so, to simply cut the cost and use avaible resources start to paint them in green ( like the army one ).

Few makers were made then in green ; for example Assmann ( who made them in green in short terms - probably because of the shortages with paint ), as well as Overhoff ( as mentioned above). None of them made them specialy for use with camo gear ( each soldier could simply oversprey them in green at any moment if wanted or need ).
                      They were aslo not made for any specific unit ( at least until any specific documents won't show up to prove they were ).
                      I think you should have read more into what has been said here. I clearly stated that most period photographs show the WSS with silver buckles.
                      No one is trying to "force" a connection to anything.

Comment

And here is the previous answer by another member to my question...

"Originally Posted by Lj90
                        Now the question is, who within the Waffen SS would have used the green buckles? Especially as you commonly see period photos of them wearing silver."

Originally posted by Jean Pierre Redeuilh View Post

Probably front lines units already wearing camouflaged equipment.
                        All Ive said is that it MAKES SENSE to use green buckle with camo, not that they were made for that specific purpose.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X