Quick HJ buckle question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick HJ buckle question....

Hey..I've noticed that there are some real HJ buckle pros in this forum....so here's a quickie question for ya's. I have the chance to purchase a Steel HJ buckle. So far, the only HJ I have is Nickel. This one is unmarked but I am 99% sure it's a reproduction. Here is my biggest concern. There is no pebbling around the eagle!
    So here's my question: were there any HJ buckles that DID NOT have that pebbling around the eagle? Also, the eagle's head looks like it's mouth is open - kind of....were there variants to the way the eagle was made?
    Hope you guys can help me out here. I appreciate your time.

Rob

Rob

I must admit, I have never seen a HJ which does not have a pebbled background to the roundel. There are of course degrees of pebbling and some of the Assmann HJ's can be very light, however the pebbling can also be masked by paint.

Always there though.

As for the eagles gaping beak - have never seen this either, although there are of course numerous designs.

Attached is an image of the most common roundel design, found on the fake steel HJ's.

Regards,

David
    Last edited by David North; 09-10-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Rob

As a post script and an apology, there is an image in Jack Angolias reference work, of a HJ by K u. Q, which appears to have either minimal or no pebbling to the roundel. RZM marked and of course, this company chose to use RZM M5 rather than RZM M4.

Regards,

David

Comment

Ok.....that sounds like my fears are confirmed....would a repro buckle like this be worth $10? (I can get it for that amount) Thanks dudes...

Rob

Comment

ROb....please take a look at the photos I am posting ..this is an unmarked buckle although I know that it is made by Dr. Frank & Cie. M4/23

it appears tio be unpebbled, and I believe this is because of light pebbling and heavy paint....also please note the beak, it has a gap in the middle making it look like his mouth is open...is this the same as the one you have been offered?? either way, I dont think you can go wrong for $10 even if it turns out to be a repro, you will know what not to buy next time....but if it looks like this one, it is good...Chad
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X