Black Paint on Steel Buckle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Paint on Steel Buckle?

I have had this one for a long time and don't recall where I picked it up. I came across it today. Steel buckle, but with BLACK paint on front and back. Never heard of/seen a black buckle before. Fake buckle w/black paint? Real buckle with post black paint? Real buckle with period black paint?? Thanks for your time and consideration. Take care.

Tim
    Attached Files

Close up.
    Attached Files

Comment

Close-er up.
      Attached Files

Comment

Back.

Thanks.

Tim
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Miller
          I have had this one for a long time and don't recall where I picked it up. I came across it today. Steel buckle, but with BLACK paint on front and back. Never heard of/seen a black buckle before. Fake buckle w/black paint? Real buckle with post black paint? Real buckle with period black paint?? Thanks for your time and consideration. Take care.

Tim
          Tim -

From the eagle pattern and construction of your buckle, it looks like it could be a legitimate war time buckle, possibly made by Richard Sieper & Sohne, Ludenscheid? Can you see a R.S.& S. hallmark next to the catch?

IMHO, the black paint was applied well after the manufacturer of this buckle. There are examples of paint shades ranging from dark gray to outright black on original buckles. These have been identified as Coast Artillery, but there is some debate as to whether they were actually used by CA units only. Your paint isn't the dull matte finish usually associated with these original black painted buckles, but what appears to be a shiny lacquer finish. It also looks like this lacquer has been applied over some pitting on the reverse, which would suggest a fairly recent repaint to me.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Gary,

Thanks for the responce. No maker marks. Thanks for taking the time. Take care.

Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X