Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K.R.17 marked belt and Buckle

Hello,

I am generally a Heer cloth insignia collector and belts and buckles are not my major point of interest. At this last SOS I picked up this belt and buckle. They are both original but are the markings period? The belt buckle is dated 1936. The belt has a steel hook, extra holes in the tip, The adjustment hole piece has been moved, and no other marking are visable except for the unit stamp.

I would like to hear anybody's opinions on the group , especially the markings. Thank you.

Fred Green
    Attached Files

a
    Attached Files

Comment

b
      Attached Files

Comment

hello,

Does anybody have an opinion on these marking? Thank you.

Fred

Comment

Hi

5./K.R. 17 II is for 5. Eskadron (or Schwadron) of Kavallerie-Regiment 17, the Roman II being for 2. Garnitur. The 17. (Bayerisches) Reiter-Regiment of the Reichswehr was re-named Kavallerie-Regiment 17 in 1934, Eskadron/Schwadron is cavalry parlance for company (not sure when the more modern Schwadron was adopted), and the "Garnitur" marking was adjusted downwards with progressive wear of an issue item by adding a further Roman "I". When issued as new, it would have been 1. Garnitur (I).

Kind regards
          Kurt

Comment

Thank you Kurt! Do you believe the markings to be original to the pieces?

I have seen that Roman numeral making used as a Battalion marking too. I see now that the second Roman numeral has been added at a later date. Thanks again.

Fred

Comment

Hi Fred

Going by the pictures, I don't see any red flags about the markings. But you have the item in hand, so you're best placed to judge. About the Roman numerals, I think it is a popular misconception to interpret these as batallion numbers. Companies were numbered consecutively within a regiment, so an additional batallion deignation would be unnecessary.

Kind regards
              Kurt

Comment

Kurt,

Thanks again!

I see that the roman numerals on the belt were applied at separate times showing the marking of a worn piece of equipment. Again, Thank you.

Fred

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X