Opinions sought on green Luftwaffe tropical belt and buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions sought on green Luftwaffe tropical belt and buckle

Greetings Gents, I recently received this example for potential consignment. Both buckle and belt are different in many respects from others that I have handled. I thought it best to post for opinions and would appreciate any learned observations.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I don't know if the belt is real, but the buckle looks like an original by Hermann Aurich. However, I think that these two weren't married from birth. The buckle looks like a standard late war blue example based on the paint remnants on the back. Maybe somebody stripped it so that the color would more closely match the belt.

Comment

Belt is a late war one but with a strange stamping ?
              Dated 1940 as i see ?
              Nick

Comment

I cannot say for sure about the belt but webbing is strange IMO. And also the stitching - crude job.
                Aurich has made luft buckles with green paint but from what I see, it is a ex blue one.
                Best Regards, Pierre

Comment

Many thanks for your comments Sirs. I will look forward to reading more.

Comment

My interpretation of tropical and late war belts based on my knowledge of more than several in my collection and research (note the angle on the late war clasp).

I like the belt, the catch looks like a true tropical clasp but on roids appears a little big on the sides, the wear and tear and finish of the clasp looks a little strange but like the slight presence of red oxide undercoat. The leather tongue has a crudely finished end not what you would normally expect from quality German workmanship then again may entail slave labor. We have seen belts with extra tongues before like this.

Early tropical MFG marked items always desirable and I really I like the belt otherwise Mike and don't see any deal breaker.
                    The buckle looks like a conventional example (remnants of blue residue visible) that could have been used with it but who knows. Great for sure if a direct vet acquired piece as is though.

-Ray-
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by -Ray-; 08-28-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Mike, I just saw this thread. I don't like that belt at all. The keeper, the leather tongue, the stitching, and even the marking. Can't say what happened to the buckle but it is not tropical IMO.

Here are some hasty photos of two unissued untouched matching late war tropical sets. A late Heer and a rare late Aurich Luftwaffe tropical (in the color unique to only Aurich tropical buckles). The keepers are in matching colors and the belts have always been with the buckles.

On the one you posted you can see how rough the leather tongue was cut. Never seen an original like that.
                      Attached Files
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Lighter photos.
                        Attached Files
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X