Is this SA buckle any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this SA buckle any good?

A customer came into my work today with a box of stuff today he just picked up from a veteran. Inside was a bunch of great US and German items including this buckle. He might want to sell some of it to me and wanted to know if any of it was good. He allowed me to take the buckle home to show here for opinions.

I really dont know anything about this topic so any info would be fantastic. Value (incase he wants to sell it), year, any maker info, or other tidbits I can pass along would be of great help.

Thanks so much,

JasonS
    Attached Files

the back
    Attached Files

Comment

The buckle looks fine to me--value $55-65.00.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

SA Koppelschloß

This is definately a Third Model SA Belt Buckle. It looks good to me as well.

Comment

Jason

As the others have confirmed, a rather nice and sound SA.

Do I have your permission to copy the roundel detail and add it to my earlier post regarding SA insets?

Regards,

David

Comment

David,

You have my complete permission. Help yourself and thanks for the help everyone.

What year was the third model produced and worn?

JasonS

Comment

Jason

Thankyou for your permission towards using the image.

This SA belt buckle displays the more commonly encountered style of swastika, which I prefer to call a "mobile" type, although others refer to it as a type II. Otherwise, the type I with a "sunwheel" swastika and the type III, with an "upright" swastika.

I do not know the date of the SA's introduction and perhaps Christian or Karl could advise.

If I had to take a guess, I would say the early 1920's (1922/1923), although I tend to think of this pin, pin shroud and claw assembly as being introduced in the mid, rather than the early 1920's.

Regards,

David

Comment

Hi all,

With presently-known documentary evidence, it is impossible to say when exactly the SA buckle was introduced. One possibility of narrowing it down is to look at dated photographs showing early Nazis wearing them. I'm not very sound on that off-hat, but the later 20ies are documented.

Personally, I don't believe in the 'type I,II,II' story regarding the swastika's shape: In the 1934 'Mitteilungsblatt der RZM', the SA box buckle was illustrated as an obsolete pattern which, although not to be produced any more, was still protected as a propreitory design belonging to the NSDAP. Guess what shape the swastika had in that illustration...

Regards, Karl

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. I have passed the info along to the owner and now I wait to see if he will sell any of the items to me

JasonS

Comment

Karl

I think that the designation of Type I, II and III has now probably become a convenient vehicle for easily describing a swastika type.

As per your own suggestion, I cannot believe that there was a methodical and ordered progression towards the swastika design.

I for one shall cling on to the old school describtion of "sunwheel", "mobile" and "upright".

Regards,

David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X