Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPEA Real and Fake

Hello to all,

I think it is time for an other Fake versus real examination about a popular buckle.
    The N.P.E.A. or Studentenbund bund buckle is amongst the nicest buckles of the III Reich.
    The stylised art of the buckle is very representative of his period.

There exist two and ONLY TWO variations of this buckle. Both in aluminium and only the marking changes.
    Both types where made by the same factory: RZM M4/38 (Richard SIEPER and Sohne - Ludenscheid)

The first of the buckles has the "small marking" being marked with a RZM a small M4/38 on the front right side of the catch.

The other variation has the " Large marking" being marked with a small RZM on the left front side of the catch and the large M4/38 on the front right side of the catch.

This buckle has been faked in his aluminium version by the same fakers as the ones making the fake SS aluminium buckles and this version has the same defects as the SS ones.
    The fake aluminium version is to grey; the overall aspect of the buckle is very poor in details and the markings blurry. One can also see the little holes of the moulding process that are not visible on the real one because the real one is stamped.

The other version of fake is the one in steel. This buckle is easy to distinguish from the original because NO ORIGINAL STEEL N.P.E.A BUCKLES EXIST! I have seen many of the steel versions, from being “aged” with rust and acid to the ones in mint condition and wrapped in post war silk paper to make believe they came from a original box.
    Those steel fakes are of the same manufacture as the steel fakes of the Dutch SS, the SS DANZIG, the large cross red cross and much more.

Marc V.
    Attached Files

Back with the two types of marking.
    Attached Files

Comment

FAKE steel version of this buckle.
      The nice detail would fool the collector who is not aware that this buckle never existed in this metal.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the lesson in buckle collecting Marc... Any other tips you can give us are greatly appreciated.
        ~G.J.B~

Comment

Two questions to all,

1. Is there any evidence, that this kind of buckles was worn by members(or leaders) of the N.P.E.A.? I know a picture from a buckle with NPEA stamped belt(I think in Angolias book).
          Is there a real evidence, like a photo?

2. My Studentenbund buckle got a stamping error on the right upper side. It looks like a big scratch.
          Has anybody also this buckle with this error?

Christian

Comment

.Hi Wickie,
            Can you post a picture of this error? I looked to all the ones I have here and do not see this particularity.
            I will try to take a photo of one fake aluminium when I have the chance.
            Marc V

Comment

Following two pictures of the buckles with defect that Wickie was talking about. Both pictures are posted in his name
              Attached Files

Comment

Close up of defect
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi All,

Very interesting thread. I just saw this and thought I would give my opinion on the "defect" in the buckle. During the stamping(press) process, pieces of scrap are thrown off as part of the process. These scraps are usually either blown away by air or carried away by oil or a soap bath that also acts as a lubricant. Many times a small scrap will flip up and lodge in the die, unknown to the operator. When the press engages it will produce a defect exactly like what is shown on the buckle that Wicke owns. If not caught by quality control, it would make it into the supply stream. Also, the buckle could have been pulled out of the reject pile at the end of the war
                  Yours,
                  Terry Keller
                  "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                  Rammstein

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X