HJ Marine buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Marine buckle

I would like to get some feedback on this recent pick-up. From all I can see and feel it appears to be a genuine buckle but I would welcome comments as to wether it is or is not a good buckle.
    Bill
    Attached Files

Photo 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Photo 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Photo4
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

in my opinion that's not the original finish .

On any places we see the real silver finisch under the gilden .......

Comment

Bill,

thats a silver painted buckle origionally imo

it has been spray painted Gold most likely post war with an aerosol spray can !

Regards Mac 66.

Comment

HJ Marine buckle

Hello. Here is my example of the same buckle. I got this off Ebay in the good old days when you could sell TR items. I posted it on a thread about seven years ago and got positive comments. Chad Williams wasn't sure if it was really for HJ Marines. At that time he said he knew of 6-7 in different collections. He thought the number was very low to be HJ Marine. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905120.073357.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905136.122328.jpg

Comment

HJ Marine buckle

Some comparison shots.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905183.527657.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905200.363209.jpg

Comment

HJ Marine buckle

Here are some shots under natural light that people requested on my old thread.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905281.478555.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1363905296.870700.jpg

Comment

Dear Bill,

For what it's worth, I would tend to agree with Markus and Scott here. Your buckle is, of course, an original by JFS and at quick glance this gilded finish is attractive with some convincing signs of wear. That being said, it does certainly appear to have its usual and factory original silver paint showing through underneath. Although possible I suppose, it seems less likely that an original painted buckle would then be secondarily finished within the same "pre-'45" period. To my eyes, Kirby's example differs in that it appears to show an unpainted steel base underneath which sits more comfortably with me.

Just my 2 cents. Hopefully Chad might see this and chime in with a more authoritative assessment. Interesting thread and discussion.

Best,
                    Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X