No announcement yet.

Army - 4 tab by Overhoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David...is the dished back heer parade buckle any more rare than a flat back parade???? I also have one of these identical buckles ...I have a flat back and a dished...never really thought about it, just two different manufacturing methods...chad

Comment

Randy - many thanks for posting the images of the buckle and especially a full view of the reverse.

Gary - hope that Randy's photographs are of interest. Apologies that I was only able to show a RLB with a dished back, as I do not collect Wehrmacht buckles. This RLB is quite a hard buckle to find and again, they seem to appear with two distinct reverse details. The one that I have shown and also, a "flat back" without a makers name or logo. A strong possibility however that other variations exist. As far as the value/price is concerned, I would be surprised to see one for sale from a European dealer for less than $600.

Chad - the dished back Army does appear less often than the flat back, although I do not think that it greatly affects the price. As a matter of interest, Bill has a super example for sale (dished back with an Overhoff logo) for $120.

Regards,

David

Comment

David,

Good idea, these cyberspace "mood" faces! Apology accepted and thank you again for sharing your RLB dished OLC buckle. Doesn't surprise me a bit that this pattern RLB would command such a price. Real beauty!

I went through the Nash buckle book last night and it would appear that the dished buckle was very common to the 1895 pattern 2-piece buckles by many manufacturers, but the only 3.R dished I could find was an OLC Heer similar to the one Randy owns. It would appear obvious that OLC carried over this practice into the 3.R period and then dropped it, as evidenced by my flat back Heer.

You mention that Bill also has a super example of a dish back Heer (OLC again!) for sale at $120.? This price seems rather steep to me, but if it's in super condition as you mention, can you point me in the direction of Bill so I can take a look.

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Gary

It would now appear that the "dished back" buckles in aluminium are somewhat uncommon, although of course numerous and well known by certain brass and nickle buckles (SA, Der Stahlhelm etc.).

Bill Shea at The Ruptured Duck is a Forum sponsor and his link can be found at the bottom of the Forum's opening page.

Otherwise - www.therupturedduck.com

Regards,

David

Comment

David,

Thanks for pointing me towards Bill Shea's site. It does look like the OLC marked buckle is is excellent condition and now I must decide. I also noticed he has a steel RZM marked Heer buckle for sale?? What are your opinions and knowledge on WH buckles with RZM's? It's a nice looking buckle, but warning bells are ringing loudly on RZM marked mid to late war WH steel buckles. Do you know if there are any documented buckles of this pattern?

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Gary

Pleased to hear that you have discovered Bill's site and I must admit, there are some quite super buckles for sale - again, Bill and of course as amongst others is a Forum sponsor and accordingly, I am confident that the integrity of the Forum has not been breached by openly promoting The Ruptured Duck.

As for the RZM marked Army buckle, quite simply Gary I do not have a clue (other than a RZM on Wehrmacht items appearing to break all the "rules"), although I am sure that others better qualified and experienced will respond.

Regards,

David

Comment

Gary,

Although I didn't look at Bill's site, I take it you refer to a RZM M4/44 marked steel WH buckle. This pattern has been documented before, I have one myself. The buckle is original in all respects, even though the RZM marking has absolutely no rightful place on any government equipment. Put it down to a manufacturer's error. If you're into WH buckles, it's a nice odditiy to have.

Regards,

Karl

Originally posted by GLM
                David,

Thanks for pointing me towards Bill Shea's site. It does look like the OLC marked buckle is is excellent condition and now I must decide. I also noticed he has a steel RZM marked Heer buckle for sale?? What are your opinions and knowledge on WH buckles with RZM's? It's a nice looking buckle, but warning bells are ringing loudly on RZM marked mid to late war WH steel buckles. Do you know if there are any documented buckles of this pattern?

Regards,

Gary

Comment

Karl

The Army buckle on Bill's site is as you supposed - RZM M4/44 !

Q. E. D.

Is there any possibilty towards an image of yours ?

Regards,

David

Comment

David & Karl,

Thanks for the input on the RZMed WH buckle. I wasn't aware of this strange variation. The buckle on Bill's site does look like a good one and you're right, he does have some excellent buckles for sale.

Gary

Comment

David,

Sure, just let me get home and settled in again, sometime early next week.
                      All the best, Karl

Originally posted by Renfield
                      Karl

The Army buckle on Bill's site is as you supposed - RZM M4/44 !

Q. E. D.

Is there any possibilty towards an image of yours ?

Regards,

David

Comment

So here's mine at long last. The photos are not the best, but the best I could do on the quick.

Karl
                        Originally posted by Karl Ortmann
                        David,

Sure, just let me get home and settled in again, sometime early next week.
                        All the best, Karl

Comment

Reverse, marking somewhat scruffy in the pic, but it's there

Comment

Karl

I think that the images are fine and thankyou for posting.

Quite remarkable - an original Army buckle with a RZM mark!

Regards,

David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X