NSBO - real or fake/fantasy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NSBO - real or fake/fantasy?

I picked up this NSBO bickle at a recent show. I bought from memory but checking the reference material when i got home it seemed good. Then I did the research on this forum and it would seem to indicate that these buckles were made post war.

Would really appreciate some thoughts on this as both the Nash book and a Weitze valuation book have these as real selling for Euros 500 plus!

Cheers

Tom
    Attached Files

Some of the old threads say these buckles were unknown till around 2000 but I think I have a old buckle book from the 70s that had a drawing of this type buckle. I will check it out and get back.

Comment

Originally posted by TomH View Post
      I....Would really appreciate some thoughts on this as both the Nash book and a Weitze valuation book have these as real selling for Euros 500 plus!

Cheers

Tom

Hello Tom,

any chance to post reverse pic ?

Ric

Comment

Sure Ric - here you go.

thanks

Tom
        Attached Files

Comment

I was wrong about the book. It was from 85 not the 70s. There wasn't a drawing of the buckle.

Comment

...I do not like it...certainly not the patina.
            Pieter
            SUUM CUIQUE ...
            sigpic

Comment

The N.S.B.O. buckle that Tom posted has I think answered a long outstanding question, for myself at least.

I own the buckle which was once offered by a well know German dealer and furthermore, appears in a fairly recent reference work.

Up until the one that Tom posted, the only one that I have ever seen.

The emblem by the way is a cut down 1933 day event badge for Weihetag, Jena-Stadtroda, although I have known this for some time.

A second example does not particularly trouble me, although what I suspect is clearly artificial ageing to Toms buckle does.

In my opinion now, more than likely a fantasy buckle.

Regards,

David
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thanking David for his contribution, I agree with Pieter's comment : buckle patina looks artificially added.

Ric

Comment

Thanks to all for very informative comments. It looks like mine, David's and the one featured in Peter Nash's book are all different which kind of begs the question given the apparent paucity of this buckle - how many were made of each variation...

It was worth a punt at 40 Euros and I'm happy for this to go into my fakes and curios box!

thanks again

Tom

Comment

Dear Tom

Just as a minor "post scriptum" and which is perhaps a little difficult to understand, is that the N.S.B.O. buckle shown in the reference work that you mention and the one that I hold, are actually one and the same. The buckle in the reference work has been "digitally cleaned" and furthermore, the original swastika within the hammer head has been "cloned out" and "replaced" with a totally different upright swastika.

I really do not know why this reference image has been manipulated so.

Anyway, that makes it 2 of these buckles that I know of (not 3) and which perhaps for the moment at least, should be held in the curio box rather than the fake box.

Regards,

David

Comment

Hi David,

very interesting indeed! I can see now that yours and the one in the book are the same but it was the difference in the swastika that made be think otherwise.

thanks again for all the contributions, it will be interesting to see if any more of these surface over time.

best

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X