Black painted army buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black painted army buckle

Has anyone out there seen a period painted HEER (ARMY) buckle in black. Does it belong to any specific units and why paint it black in the first place.

Hello there,

I have one too and would love to know the answer!

William Kramer
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

Simple answer, MANY things used the standard olive colour paint, and supplies were running out by later war (which is why we see late war examples in black!). Or this is the answer I have come to accept at truth. More info would be great!

Here is a "black" (dark blue is more accurate in my opinion) example posted by member patrick99 in this thread: Here. This thread talks about your question a little more I think.

(militaryantiquesstockholm.com)

Not only did the Heer use "black" but Luftwaffe also for late war buckles.

(wwiidaggers.com)

(wwiidaggers.com)

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first time I have ever seen a black buckle and was rather confused. At first I thought it was for night guard duty so as it did not reflect the white metal. I must say some great exanples of belts shown.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
          At first I thought it was for night guard duty so as it did not reflect the white metal.
          Even olive green will cut back on reflection, why they choose the black after the shortages on green, I'm not sure... perhaps a surplus of black. (Makes sense to me!)

Comment

An old collector told me years ago that in his circles the black painted belt buckles were something that Panzer troops did.
            Of course, this was probably speculation.

Comment

I know that in late 1944 (circa Aug-Sept) as part of the new set of uniform regs that introduced the M-44 uniform and the Feldgrau 44 shade of cloth...there was also a general standardization of button color introduced for the Heer (and maybe all branches???) that was in fact a Dark Blue/Black color...like these buckles......IMO buckles were also to be painted in this matching blue/black button color....but I have never seen specific regs stating it

I do not believe that they are coastal artillery or night camo or panzer or anything other than late war paint to confrom with 1944 guidlines.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                I do not believe that they are coastal artillery or night camo or panzer or anything other than late war paint to confrom with 1944 guidlines.
                This.

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
                  This.
                  I'm not sure what the comment means, I should add that the black/bluish/dark gray color of paint that I am referring to as being the new late 44 standard for buttons and I believe all metal fittings might vary a slight bit. I have some tunics with these buttons and have examined many others along with buckles, belt hooks and other fitting items. I think but do not know for sure that this color was to be universal for Heer, KM, LW and SS......I just do not think that the regulation was ever universal in implementation before the war ended.

Comment

Originally posted by joshlichty View Post
                    This.
                    Originally posted by phild View Post
                    I'm not sure what the comment means
                    Sorry it means I totally agree with that comment you made!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X