hj buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hj buckle

does this one look ok? it is marked LATE WAR ZINC FINISH. BUCKLE MARKED RZM M4/27. the dealer wants 48 I think this is a fair price if original. thanks http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtop...=492587#492587

The front looks perfectly good, and $ 48 is indeed a fair price, BUT I don't think anybody would want to commit themselves on the question of originality without having seen the reverse as well - neither would I.

Karl

Comment

I agree with Karl on this one, insofar as by an obverse image, the HJ buckle looks like a perfectly sound and late issue type. Would however like a squint at the reverse, just in case.

Would be expecting something like the attached.

Regards,

David
      Last edited by David North; 09-10-2006, 09:44 AM.

Comment

i just got this one from Estand - and my reflection is that bar was replaced ... ?!?!? hmm.. am i right ?? what to do then ???
        Attached Files

Comment

bar - looks like new .!?!!?
          Attached Files

Comment

down rivet - opinions ??
            Attached Files

Comment

Michael

It does look as though the bar, shroud and claw assembly has been replaced. Apart from the whole set looking too new in relation to the buckle body, the claws are a trifle too sharp for my liking and also, the bottom seal to the bar is wrong and amateurish. At least someone had the presence not to use reverse cut claws. One final point, in view of the buckle appearing "used", are there any claw tip marks on the reverse of the buckle?

Regards,

David

Comment

thanks David !!!
                I see no claw tip marks on the reverse hmm...

the inside bar nail looks like alu made - claws are steel
                see also: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=57139 - thats where it comes from

Comment

Michael

There was the very slim chance that if the strap was obviously original to the buckle, then the replacement post, shroud and claw could have been a period "field repair".

With all due respect to the chap who you bought this rig from, the strap also appears to have been somewhat modified. Apart from the spurious SS stamp, it would appear that the hook flap has been restitched by hand.

Regards,

David

Comment

hj buckel

I have emailed the seller and will post the reverse as soon as I recieve it,

Comment

Sorry Migileto for using your thread BTW..

David - belt looks and smells good - sewing is just not straight - i have 2 other late war belts like that - all look pretty much the same.
                      I was looking arund in some other threads - and some buckles still have shiny steel claws - maybe You have some other buckles by the same marker to compare ??? - maybe some HJ.. SS or DAF zinc buckles - with same construction type...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Michael

If you are happy with the strap, then so be it. I still think that the hook flap has been reworked, however I have always advocated buying and collecting with ones heart, rather than ones head.

The buckle is more interesting though.

As before, I think that the post, shroud and claw assembly is not original to the buckle body. This raw, almost non finished and sharp claw tip is actually now seen on some modern fakes.

In addition, the bottom and securing end of the post is unlike anything I have seen before.

Attached are six random images of late production claws and bottom fixing points (apologies for the poor grade photographs) and of note, there is nothing even remotely similar. If you would like a better quality shot of any image, then please let me know.

Regards,

David

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X