Update, Marc Verstraete, Moderator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update, Marc Verstraete, Moderator.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Hello all,

<o></o>

Just a note to let everyone know why I have been slow to answer some of the question on the forum over the past weeks.

<o></o>

Over the past six years I had the privilege of buying some of the worlds biggest buckles collection,

The Caché collection, 1500 pieces; this collection was used to make the Catella book.

The Giovanni collection, over 1000 pieces; used in both Angolia books.

The Moriaux collection, 500 pieces; partially used in the Catella.

And a few other collections in the US whose former owners desired to stay unknown.

Most of my close friends know that I did this not for profit reasons but to complete and upgrade my personal collection.

At the end of the day I ended up with over 1000 buckles spare. This has given me the reputation to be a dealer, title that I never appreciated but that I had to accept.

Having a table at the MAX or SOS automatically classifies you as a dealer apparently.

I have tried to satisfy everyone who did business with me, was it when selling an item or in a trade. I have tried at the best of my knowledge never to sell a fake or suspicious item and never had anybody complain about such matter.

This whole affaire has also inevitably created enemies; envy and jealousy are amongst the most current diseases in the collecting world. One of the breaking points in my decision was an argument a few months ago on the “German dagger” forum where a collector / (Moderator on the W.H awards forum) openly clamed to be on the forum only to sell and buy items and reproaching me not to sell him the items I just had found. This was against the ethic I had in mind as a moderator.

Having more to do in life than argue with people who are not worth the argument and the fact that I do have other occupations has driven me to make the decision to sell ALL me spare buckles, uniforms, etc at once and in one block to a “REAL” dealer.

This became a fact last week.

I am again a “simple” collector, looking for items I don’t have in me collection and always looking to upgrade my pieces. I am of course continuing the job as moderator of the forum and will always take the time to help the members out.

Marc

Marc,

Speaking as a full time dealer who is a bit sarcastic, and enjoys making fun of the aforementioned culture of jealously, and related behavior that goes on in the militaria world (all my stuff is real, all of your stuff is fake, etc.) I send my condolences, and congradulations on getting rid of the stuff and getting back to a normal life again. Too many of these guys have no lives outside of militaria dealing and put too much of their egos and self esteem into their business, etc.

Comment

Marc,

Having known you for many years and having numerous dealings with you both buying and selling I can say the following with sincerity:
      Dealers always want to pay the least and charge the highest prices they can get. Dealers almost always refuse to trade unless it is on their terms which usually means an item worth xxx amount of money is offered on their lists for usually more than the going price and will only be worth to them 25-30% of the retail price.
      Marc, you have been more then generous in the offers you make to fellow collectors for items you want. For those items you are not interested in you make that clear up front and still pay reasonable 75-80% of retail. I know this as I have been this route many times with you. Your sell prices are fair and negotiable to both concerns.
      If I ever decide to sell my collection you will be the first person I contact-and you can take that to the bank.
      I know there is a lot of jealousy out there. I have been a recipient of that over the years from certain collectors. But the real enjoyment is saying"damn Marc, where did find that. great find. Wish it was me. You have done the same to me. Part of the fun of collecting is sharing your finds. It is done often on the Forum and it is a great way to share a collection addition because isn't that what the hobby is all about.
      In closing all I can say is keep up the good work and I only regret not being able to find anything in your surplus list that I could use-certainly talked to you about it on enough occassions. Don't forget about me, you know what I am looking for.

Regards,

Bill

Comment

Marc

Hi Marc,
        I also will say you have always been very fair towards my friends and myself.
        Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Hi Marc,

I am sorry to hear of the string of events that have made you take this drastic move. Here's to a calmer future.
          Regards
          Si

SWS Collection 01-14 Images Copyright.

Comment

Marc....you are the first 'dealer' who EVER paid me retail for an item!!! I thought only COLLECTORS did that....

Chin up!

Dave
            Regards,
            Dave

Comment

Thank you guys for the support, I REALLY appreciate, it means a lot to me.

Marc

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o></o>

Comment

Hi Marc,
                I just had to chip in and say congrats.

This hobby of ours is difficult, brutal, greedy, and at times downright dangerous. I'm sure we've all had trades and sales that have got a bit 'out of control' (I'm speaking relatively here, I've never had 1000's of buckles on my hands!) but it's easy to forget why we enjoy this stuff in the first place, and I'm sure we all agree it wasn't about making money and argueing.
                Prices are crazy lately, and with that comes crazy egos.
                I fully welcome you back to your roots! It's much more fun down here, meeting a few vets, reading a few books, museums and the History Channel.
                Who needs all the pressure of Wallstreet, I mean the MAX/SOS!
                One thing my Grand-dad said was make sure you enjoy your life. And he trawled his way through the whole of WW2 (no he didn't bring anything back )
                best wishes as always
                jon

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X