2 buckle of mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 buckle of mine

The first is an early RAD buckle dated 1936, The other I don't know about looked throw the book of belt buckles and couldn't find it, it is made of steal has no marks. Thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

RAD is original. The second buckle is a fantasy item.

Comment

I kinda thought so, but what was it trying to represent? Thanks

Comment

Sirs-

I have consulted the Thomas Reid book, GERMAN BELT BUCKLES, and regarding the second buckle please see page 127. Prison Administration (Strafanstaltsbeamte) wore this design, as did Justice officials (Justizbeamte).
            High-ranking officials wore a circular buckle; lower ranks had a rectangular buckle.

Also, on page146 of the same reference please see the same design, with an added shield of crossed hammers in the eagle's talons. This design was for the National Bureau of Mines.

The Reid book is copyrighted 1989 Lancer Militaria, Mt. Ida, Arkansas, USA.
            It might be hard to get but is a fascinating reference--the Germans had buckles for a vast array of civil and trade groups as well as miliitary buckles.

If the buckle is real, it would be Prison or Justice personnel.

Cheers,

Enzian

Comment

The second buckle is a fake without a doubt.

I do not have this Reid Book but I can tell that there are fakes in almost all reference book on the subject.

Comment

The second shown buckle is a fake and anyway in existance since the early seventies. It was found on shows in Europe then for a few bucks and in larger quantities. I have listed it as popping up in 1972/1973. The manufacturing is lousy. The catch is a joke! To make it better looking they were painted, but most are unpainted and rusty. The buckle was mentioned to be for prison-guards. Some said it was forestry. But any of these persons did wear a rectangular enlisted buckle at all.
                There is no cataloque from those days that will show it. In the same style a Red Cross buckle was made, as well as one for the Technische Nothilfe and NSKK (see Angolia pages 622-623). A same one was faked for the Luftwaffe. The shown one here is on page 627 from Angolia with three variations.

As far as I known it was mr. Terence Baldwin from England who noted it correctly as a fake in his "German Military Waistbelts", buckle-booklet, published 1980, as well as in his issue from 1981.

Comment

Like already said, the Rad is good and the other buckle is bad.

Comment

... yes no doubt!

Comment

Hello Sven, how are you? Not seen you around for a while

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X