Opinions wanted on SS EM buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions wanted on SS EM buckle

Since buckles are not the sort of thing I actively pursue, I don't have many of them.

Given the number of fakes that turn up, I would appreciate opinions on this steel EM buckle. Sorry about the scans, but they are the best I can do. Digital camera results are either black (no flash) or almost white (with flash).

Is this a complete non-starter or an honest, but well-worn original?
    Last edited by Frosch; 12-14-2005, 03:07 PM.

This is the reverse. There seems to be a mark stamped 455 / 43 and the runes inside a double circle below the claw pin.

The buckle is made of steel and seems to retain some original silver paint on the front, and what may be grey paint on the rear. Unfortunately, it has been coated with varnish, probably to prevent any further rust (which is only minimal).
    Last edited by Frosch; 12-14-2005, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I have adjusted the photos for you.
      If you use a camera, take the item out in the daylight on a day without direct sunlight. This will give you a nice soft light around the item, without strong shadows. If you use a scanner, you have to learn the software that comes with the scanner.

The buckle looks ok to me. lets here what the other buckle guys say.

Cheers.
      Peter Wiking

Front:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Peter Wiking; 04-12-2004, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Back:
        Attached Files

Comment

This SS buckle is original and was made by the Assmann firm in 1943. This is the second variant which is not (yet) reproduced. The faint marking you see under the post sleeve / prongs assembly is RZM 155/43 SS. 155 been the RZM/SS contract number for Assmann and 43 the year of production (1943).
          Jean Pierre Redeuilh
          All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Peter & Jean Pierre,

Many thanks for the imaging and analysis. Judging by its condition, I thought the buckle was probably OK, but the confirmation is nice to have. I got this as part of a trade a couple of years ago, and it doesn't owe me much. The condition is not really an issue, as I prefer "salty" and original items to nice-looking but questionable ones.

Is this a common buckle type?

/David

Comment

It is not so common, but not rare neither.
              Jean Pierre Redeuilh
              All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X