Croupon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Croupon

I've often wondered why German military belts are often stamped 'Croupon'.

I always thought this was some sort of maker's mark.

Well, today I found out in a roundabout way that the term 'Croupon' is a technical one used in the tanning/skinning industry to describe the thickest and strongest part of the hide.

So, presumably, 'Croupon' is a quality mark denoting the thickness of the belt leather.

Apologies to the ranchers among you, but this was news to me!

Best regards,

Robin.

You are correct Robin,

Croupon is a marking of quality, other such marking also exist. such as “Kernstuck”

The first time I saw “Croupon” on a belt it was a SS officer belt (probably 20 years ago) .I let it past as the word “croupon” sounded to French to me. Could not believe it was original.
    Marc

Comment

Note that such quality "Croupon" markings are aslo being faked !
      Mark

Comment

Robin,

With all the contribution you did to this hobby along with the amount of informations you brought us during those years, I think most will "forgive" this "greatest among the great lack of knowledge"
        Jean Pierre Redeuilh
        All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

I was told that Croupon was a French Company that made belts before the war for the Third Reich...and I often see that mark on early belts mated with SS ems...but the above explaination makes sense. Good job Robin!

Johnny

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X