Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bavarian buckle with prongs cut at 45 degrees

Greetings all

I had heard that all buckles with the prongs cut at 45 degrees on one side only where wrong. Here is a good example that perhaps this is a collector myth.
    Attached Files

--------
    Attached Files

Comment

The nasty prongs
      Attached Files

Comment

==========
        Attached Files

Comment

=-=-=-=
          Attached Files

Comment

In my opinion, nothing "nasty" about the claws shown.

Attached however is an image of the fake claw tips that you were alluding to.

Regards,

David
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks David, these are the first of this claw tip type I have seen on an Imperial buckle.

Comment

This is a very interesting buckle indeed because if someone described that to me then I would have said that the 45 degree prongs were a sure sign of a fake.

Yet I can see on this one which "nzef1940" has put up that it is 100% correct just look at the construction, wear, age, patina of a real buckle.

Will have to go back and look at mine but I am fairly sure this is the first time I have seen the 45 degree prong on a real one. (pre-1916/17 style of prong too)

Very en lighting, thanks for posting

Chris
                Last edited by 90th Light; 01-07-2009, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Prongs cut at 45 degrees do not instantly indicate fake.

The prongs most associated with fakes need to have the reverse or opposed cut and be at 45 degrees , as Davids example shows.

The imperial buckle,s prongs dont have a reverse cut and look fine to me.

It sems to me that the"reverse cut "part of the rule has been forgotten and peiople are only remembering the 45 degree part.

I also believe that close examination of the tips on the original buckle posted under magnification would reveal some slight angling"^" on the face of each tip where its been cut.

The fake 45 degree reverse cut prongs are generally flat on the face of each tip.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X