"Tabbed" roundel SA buckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Tabbed" roundel SA buckles

Here is a pair of very unusual SA buckles that I hope may be of interest.

This is the only SA buckle that I have encountered which has the roundel affixed by 4 bent over tabs.

The buckles are exactly the same other than the finish (brass with a silver wash roundel and nickle silver on brass with a nickle silver in brass roundel). Even the pin shroud and claws appear to be the same and to include the tool marks on the pin shroud and the distinct seam to the pin shroud.

I am sure that the design of the roundel by the style of the eagle and the swastika is specific to this buckle.

Regards,

David
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Tabbed SA

Very detailed and nice design on the roundel, very unlike the somewhat budgerigar-like eagles on many SA buckles. Although I have never seen such a construction on SA buckles before, they look original, although probably late 1930s production.

Comment

Hello David,

quite distinct eagle on these SA's : I personally like them and the way they were manufactured.
            Thanks for sharing

Best

Ric

Comment

A first for me. I like 'em quite a bit! The eagle has a different look for sure and I love the detail! Thanks for sharing!

Rob

Comment

David
                not to be an echo, but these buckles are new to me as well. I have never seen the tabbed construction on an SA before, your SA collection never stops amazing me. Thank you for sharing with us!

Comment

Thankyou for all the positive comments chaps - greatly appreciated.

This buckle is something of a mystery to myself also.

The odd situation however is that there is a fleeting and implied mention to this buckle in Tom Reid's buckle reference publication. There is a line drawing of an obverse which displays a very similar roundel and alas, no reverse image. The buckle is referred to a NSDAP rather than SA and remarkably, there is no mention to the very peculiar constructional features.

Regards,

David

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X