Strange Navy Buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Navy Buckle

This one just came into the shop today, kind of an odd one: Brass plating over steel body and an aluminum Rondel, you can see that it was once gilted to match the rest of the buckle. Has anyone seen one like this before?

http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

That is a interesting looking buckle, Jerry! Looks almost like it was made for parade dress or something (to go with the white leather gear)

Comment

How did they solder the aluminum roudel to the brass buckel???

Tom

Comment

Hey Karl,
        How are you doing? Where's that unit patch for the shop display?

Hi Tom, Good question. its not brass it's like brass plated? ( and only to the front & sides) with steel underneath. May just be some type of gilting. But I can't see what maybe under the rondel that they attached to. Certainly not superglue...

( & Congrats on 1700 & 1500 posts guys~! Glad It could be on one of my threads! )

sigpic

Comment

Hey there Jerry!
          I did not even realize that . 1,700 posts - God, it feels like just yesterday I joined this forum.
          As far as patches - I got 'em! All I need is your address so I can get them out before I hit the sandbox. (by the way, I will be home in November to early January, so expect to see me quite a bit then! )
          All the best,
          Karl

Comment

Hello,

here's my answer, formerly posted by another Forum (GDC) :

"Hello Jerry,

never seen one like that before.
            Since the box has an SA/NSKK looking, any chance a former face plate was under the alu one ?
            Btw, a roundel well worn on a box with gilding still present, make me always suspicious....

Best

Ric"

Comment

Thanks Ric,
              I appreciate your comments.
              No signs of anything else ever being under it.
              Actually the wear to the whole buckle is pretty consistent, with the aluminum part just taking the brunt of the wear because of its softness.

My point of the gilting to the aluminum part, is there is gold flecks in left in the recesses, so the roundel was actually gold at one point too.

it's an odd one, that's for sure.
              Thanks,
              Jerry

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tgn View Post
                How did they solder the aluminum roudel to the brass buckel???

Tom

Hard to believe that a way of soldering, normally used to join face plate by brass/nickel/steel, has been used on an alu roundel without damnage it : so most likely it was glued on, even if not clearly visible !

Ric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X