Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tropical buckle; your opinions please

HI Gents,
    i'm not very familiar with any kind of buckle so i'd like to ask yuor opinions about this my new tropical buckle cames today from a seller. I noticed some readjustement of the catch; it seems resoldered because there are present some yellow welding tracks near its both side; am i wrong? Please help me because with the money i spent for it i'd like a buckle untouched!
    Regards,
    Alex
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex Ciavaglia; 01-09-2008, 07:25 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Alex, IMO a nice Tropical buckle by Hermann Aurich, got any pics fo the front please?

Comment

Hi Ben,
            the buckle is absolutly original; my doubts are about the possible catch's remount (please notice the yellow welding tracks near both ends of the catch). What do you think?
            Alex

Comment

alex the catch looks fine to me i think what your seeing is the origional paint has been worn away from use to reveal some of the origional brass welding to the catch which is normal and nothing to worry about.........cheers scott.

Comment

Alex,

Scott is right : that catch is joined to the buckle by soldering (usually brass), so nothing wrong if yellow soldering traces are visible where the paint is worn off.
                Btw, all the catch bridge looks unmessed with and original to the buckle.

Best

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by sweezz View Post
                  alex the catch looks fine to me i think what your seeing is the origional paint has been worn away from use to reveal some of the origional brass welding to the catch which is normal and nothing to worry about.........cheers scott.

Hi,
                  honestly it's the first that i see with this feature..is it common on the buckle the brass welding instead the another kind?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
                    Hi,
                    honestly it's the first that i see with this feature..is it common on the buckle the brass welding instead the another kind?
                    ALEX YES THIS IS COMMON ON MOST STEEL BUCKLES..... THE WELDING PROCESS IS CALLED BRAISSED WELD OR BRAISSING WITH A BRASS WELDING ROD USING OXYGEN/ACETELENE GAS WITH A WELDING TORCH TO HEAT/MELT THE BRASS ROD INTO THE STEEL TO WELD/MELT BOTH METALS TOGETHER.......CHEERS SCOTT.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ciavaglia View Post
                      Hi,
                      ......is it common on the buckle the brass welding instead the another kind?

Brass soldering is a common way up to 1942, later spot welding is more widely used probably due the low cost.

Ric

Comment

Originally posted by regiment739 View Post
                        Alex, IMO a nice Tropical buckle by Hermann Aurich, got any pics fo the front please?

Hi Ben,
                        i think you have centered the maker; as you can see in the back, near the swastika on the right, it's engraved the Aurich's logo and, on the left, (here lightly visible) the date '41 !!!
                        Thanks a lot to everyone.
                        Alex
                        Attached Files

Comment

front
                          Attached Files

Comment

Very nice buckle Alex, good find

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X