Need to identify a buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to identify a buckle

This came with a large grouping from a local WW2 vet. Some of the items are coastal artillery, and I wondered if this buckle is too. The front has been painted grey while the rear is still shiny brass. What would this buckle be worth? There is also a Heer buckle with leather tab in the box. Thanks for your help!
    Attached Files

Rear
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
      This came with a large grouping from a local WW2 vet. Some of the items are coastal artillery, and I wondered if this buckle is too. The front has been painted grey while the rear is still shiny brass. What would this buckle be worth? There is also a Heer buckle with leather tab in the box. Thanks for your help!

Hello Matt,

IMO you are right : a gilded KM later gray painted and issued to Coastal Artillery.

Best

Ric

Comment

what would this buckle be worth? There is also a Heer buckle with leather tab in the box. Thanks for your help!
        PM sent

Ric

Comment

Hi Matt, very nice buckle and rare can you post pics of the one with the tab?

Ben

Comment

Here's the Heer buckle. It's marked "Dr. F & Co." and the tab is also marked with the same maker and 1939.
            Attached Files

Comment

Rear shot
              Attached Files

Comment

Tab markings
                Attached Files

Comment

This is the box these came out of! About 30 pounds worth plus a K98 Mauser. Was not cheap, the old man has medical bills to pay!
                  Attached Files

Comment

That looks like quite a haul! I like the buckles! What are the markings behind the converted coastal art. buckle? C.T.D.?
                    Cheers!
                    Rob

Comment

I can't see any markings on the coastal arty buckle (I'm now assuming that's what it is). I just talked to the vet on the phone and he says a lot of his souveniers came from the Free French in Le Harve who were trading for American cigarettes. As he wasn't a 'combat' veteran, this apparently was a good source for German items!

Comment

looks like a mint ammo pouch
                        DaveJ

Comment

I can't see any markings on the coastal arty buckle (I'm now assuming that's what it is). I just talked to the vet on the phone and he says a lot of his souveniers came from the Free French in Le Harve who were trading for American cigarettes. As he wasn't a 'combat' veteran, this apparently was a good source for German items!
                          Hey! The markings are by the belt catch, right on the edge of the buckle....Don't look like C.T.D....could it be D.F & co??? Man, my eyes are getting bad!

Cheers!

Rob

Comment

Your eyes are bad?!? I had the buckle in hand and didn't see it! I had to go back to the picture I posted to see what you were talking about! It's hard to make out, but I think it's the same as the Heer buckle, "Dr. F & Co." if that makes sense...

Comment

Yeah, that makes sense...It's pretty interesting as most of these steel KM gold buckles were made by C.T.D....I think, and not many were made actually...That example you have shown is pretty cool as it tells a story!!

Cheers!
                              Rob

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X