Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A previously non documented SA?

Here is a decidedly odd SA buckle.

In the period that I have embraced a special interest in SA buckles, this is the first time that I have seen this quite striking "sun-wheel" type.

I wonder if anybody has seen this specific design before or actually, has one in their collection?

The quality of the roundel strike by the crisp and sharp detail is really quite remarkable. In addition, the style of the eagles head and the eccentric wings are very interesting. Finally, the style of the lower semi wreath is quite unlike that normally seen on the overwhelmingly majority of documented SA buckles.

Regards,

David

Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Hello David

SA buckles are not my main field, but I must say this one is one of the nicest, that I have ever seen.

The high quality stamping of the roundel and the nice design makes the buckle so desirable!

Do you have an idea, who the maker could be?

Best regards,
      Guido

Comment

David,

indeed one of the nicest design I've ever seen, thanks for sharing.

Best

Ric

Comment

Guido and Ric

Thankyou for your respective responses in connection with this somewhat unusual SA buckle. I must admit that when I first saw this buckle, I immediately thought of L u F. I am reasonably confident though that L u F were not the exclusive users of the distinct reverse style of the brass box. L u F are of course well known for a particular and spectacular SA design, to include the pebbled inner swastika and which has been discussed so many times on the forum. Attached is the classic L u F SA and also, a photo merge of the 2 roundels. I do not think that there are any design features which would correlate the roundels as both being produced by L u F. For a reason that I cannot support, I feel that this buckle may be Overhoff. There is absolutely nothing physically to relate or associate this buckle to O&C and there are no tell tale signs or fingerprints by the construction technique. I vaguely remember however a conversation once with an advanced buckle collector in relation to the fine and extended wreath design to the buckle that I originally posted, being possibly attributed to Overhoff und Cie. Not a particularly sound basis in attributing a maker to the buckle, however up until the time of writing, it is the only peg that I can hang my hat on.

There is further twist to the buckles pedigree. One of the well known reference tomes features an SA buckle which has a rather similar roundel and with a reverse, displaying a jolly suspect RZM mark. The buckle has also appeared on the forum and I have attached the images again. In my opinion, a fake SA, however the buckle displays the same fine and extended wreath design!!!

Regards,

David
          Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hello David,

referring to the supposed fake SA M4/14, I would not bet my head on : as for me I like what I see.

Best

Ric

Comment

Ric

Point taken, however RZM M4/14 ???

I wonder now if this buckle is actually made up of a previously unknown and original roundel, re-applied to a fake/fantasy box.

Regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by David North View Post

.....I wonder now if this buckle is actually made up of a previously unknown and original roundel, re-applied to a fake/fantasy box.

Regards,

David
                        David,

of course that's a chance, but I also like the box features : ears shape, post prongs assembly, roller pin head, half moon shape, ecc....
                        Anyway the marking still remains a mistery........at least for me

Best

Ric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X