Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mint Nickle Silver SS O&C ges.gesch.

hello,
    my newest find, mint Overhoff SS buckle.
    What is the value of a piece in this condition these days?
    greetings peter
    Attached Files

back
    Attached Files

Comment

mm
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello If you check out Estand under field equipment you'll find 2 of these have sold in the last month. One in good condition sold for $445 the other in very good condition, looks like it sold for $670. Kirby

Comment

hello kirby,
          thanks for your answer i think i had sleept the last 5 years the prices in this section are
          this buckle is not for the e-stand an not to sell i was only interested at the value of this piece.
          peter

Comment

Peter

Even though this buckle and as a group or genre is not my favourite, the example that you have shown is really quite spectacular.

The Overhoff ears, pin shroud and claws stand out so well.

Interesting to note however that the intacto lacquer to the obverse (cosmetic ?) or (protective ?), has not been applied to the reverse.

Regards,

David

Comment

Originally posted by David North View Post

Interesting to note however that the intacto lacquer to the obverse (cosmetic ?) or (protective ?), has not been applied to the reverse
              Absolutely normal since they are all alike. Only the front was finished with a dull lacquer/paint/wash to be conform with printed regulations.
              I am still looking for a single example (nickel silver SS buckle made by any maker) which could be different than the above.
              Jean Pierre Redeuilh
              All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

Hi Peter, super example

Ben

Comment

Jean-Pierre

It may be a tad hovering on the fringes of the ubiquitous oxymoron, however, what is the somewhat passing chance that a response from yourself is somewhat more complete than the obligatory harsh, patronising and dismissive few lines ?

There is and with all due respect, no credit to yourself as an accepted authority on SS buckles.

May we have some detail and explanation !!!

Regards,

David

Comment

May we have some detail and explanation !!!

Regards,

David
                    Other than the above quoted sentence I have a real hard time to understand what you wrote. But I do not think it is a crutial problem.
                    Regarding the above quoted request, please allow me to no longer write over and over the same text. You can find reply to your question in many past threads and this is the reason why I posted the above reminder for everyone. Any collector in this forum having an interest in early SS buckles should recall having read about it. Especially when the subject is backed with printed period regulations.
                    Jean Pierre Redeuilh
                    All my collection of SS Buckles is for sale. Contact jpredeu@rogers.com for inquiries

Comment

...but I will reformulate my first text with changes underlined:

"Only the front had to be finished with a dull lacquer/paint/wash to be conform with printed black SS uniform regulations."

More likely finishing the back was left to maker's preference. It is obvious Overhoff (the maker of the example shown in this thread) selected to leave alone the back. Suffice to pay attention to other early SS buckles made by the firm and also posted in this forum. Several early Overhoff"s shown are in excellent to mint condition and are displaying the same feature.

Regarding other makers, looks like they followed te same patern. Why bother to lacquer/paint/wash the back when it was not requested?

As said, I did not find a single example, mint or worn, with a "painted" dull silver gray back. Maybe I did not notice it for other makers (could be possible) but it is at least an obvious feature on early Overhoff SS's.
                      Unfortunately an evidence long gone for collectors cleaning to bright shine their collection!

Based on reading your own posts I do not believe you have a real interest in any subject which relates to SS buckles. This is your absolute right but you will understand why I will not develop the subject further.
                      Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Comment

Dear Jean-Pierre

Perhaps I may take this opportunity to ""clear the air" a little.

Firstly, thankyou for your response and which as always, is most informative.

You are and with all due respect, quite wrong that I do not have an interest in SS buckles. Actually, I have just purchased the SS 57 that was recently advertised on Gailens site and when time permits, I will post it on the WA forum. I have always had and always will have, an interest in the nickle silver SS buckle.

Anyway, the gist all comes down to a sense of humour.

There are a few and including myself who regard the SS buckle as a buckle - no more and no less. The tongue in cheek and rather schoolboy humour comments in the past have been hopefully quite lighthearted. It all goes back to the feature or evolving profile of a forum. If the vox pop is happy with a certain buckle, then so be it. I have always found it odd however and in a quite subjective way, that by viewings and responses to past posts, the SS buckle reigns supreme. Belt buckle collecting is in my opinion a Broad Church and I still find it strange in my Neanderthal way and attitude that a "common" Waffen SS buckle is more interesting to the forum than say an obscure Right Wing or Kampfzeit buckle. The members of a forum and as a collective group must dictate how a forum develops and whether it be SS or Wehrmacht driven, then so be it.

I just thought that it was opportune to highlight this point and remind yourself that as an individual member of the forum, I still have an active interest and respect towards a particular group of SS buckles.

The other feature perhaps worthy of comment is that I know that specific details and aspects of the SS buckle have been discussed repeatedly and ad infinitum. It is however human nature Jean-Pierre for us all to take the easy option. Even though an aspect and here, the presence of an obverse rather than reverse lacquer, is not what many forum members and including myself, can be bothered to search for on past discussions. The Real Time and instant on line information is often all that is required.

Perhaps "heavy lies the crown" in relation to yourself who is regarded by many as an authority on SS buckles.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Comment

I have always found it odd however and in a quite subjective way, that by viewings and responses to past posts, the SS buckle reigns supreme. Belt buckle collecting is in my opinion a Broad Church and I still find it strange in my Neanderthal way and attitude that a "common" Waffen SS buckle is more interesting to the forum than say an obscure Right Wing or Kampfzeit buckle

I do believe than price is just the motive for the current interest. Price of a EM SS buckle (whatever period frame it could be) tripled in less than three years and availability seems to ran out. So, when someone is going to pay over $600 for a common early Overhoff or even for a hyper common steel unmarked from the same maker, I can understand he/she is concerned before he/she can commits a purchase! Even so, I still follow the same attitude: it is a long time I said I will not play the "easy" game. I am behind a lot of developments in the SS buckles collecting but I still try to teach people to be able to recognize fakes and/or original variants by themselves rather than assist them. Unfortunately the "easy way" you pointed out is still there and I do not believe it is a help in the long run. So, I write my comment and push whoever is interested to know more to do his/her homework. Been a founder/member of a forum does not mean been a slave of it.
                          Jean Pierre Redeuilh

Comment

nice buckle

Well....having to read all that, I would like to conclude most simply, that this example is very nice. I'd value it around 1k for sure. I just sold and Over. and Cie for more than 1.5k. So....

Peter, nice piece.
                            regards all,
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Edward C View Post
                              Well....having to read all that, I would like to conclude most simply, that this example is very nice. I'd value it around 1k for sure. I just sold and Over. and Cie for more than 1.5k. So....

Peter, nice piece.
                              regards all,
                              Mark
                              Hello Mark,

just for my curiosity, could you post some pics of your O & C sold for 1.5k ?

Thanks in advance

Ric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X