SA Buckle with Unusual Prong Bar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Buckle with Unusual Prong Bar!

This buckle was acquired along with an early HJ buckle and some cloth insignia from an elderly gentleman who said they had been for years at an old VFW Post that had closed down. He offered them all for a very small price so I brought them home. It was much later before I noticed something that I had not personally seen on a buckle before. In this example you will see that the prong bar and prongs are both made of brass. Perhaps this has been observed and it is not that unusual. But it was certainly the first time I had seen it. The prong bar had the identical age as the remainder of the brass buckle and does not appear at all to be a modern replacement. Please take a look and I eagerly await your opinions!
    Attached Files

Reverse

Attached Files

Comment

reverse 2

Attached Files

Comment

reverse 3

Attached Files

Comment

reverse 4

4 - Last one!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi William, IMO it looks like maybe a period repair?

Comment

the ugly prong

hello william,
              you are the owner of the "ugly prong"!

there are several buckles with prongs like that: SA, NSKK, DRK, Reichsbanner. In my eyes they are no repairs but a strange marker variant.

I bet David could post same nice pictures, as we have discussed these progs before.

regards

sven

Comment

PROUD to be an "Ugly Prong" LOL

Sven,

That was a good chuckle! I am expecting Mr. North to weigh in. I tend to feel that this buckle was made this strange way originally. Perhaps I can search earlier posts to find it's "ugly cousins"!

Great collecting!

William

Comment

William

As Sven has so rightly confirmed, this very peculiar, integral post with claw arrangement, has been discussed before within the forum. I think that it was originally regarded as a "suspect" feature (and buckle !), although now, perhaps associated with a "cottage industry" manufacturer or assembler.

These integral posts with claws appear to be hand made and no two are exactly the same. They are of course crude in the extreme and I wonder if they were utilised as a temporary arrangement by one particular and unknown company.

The box profile to these buckles remains constant and as Sven mentioned, there are various roundels known for various organisations.

A very interesting feature though is that the SA buckles and by the mobile and sunwheel swastika types, always have exactly the same style of a decidedly odd looking eagle.

Certainly for the SA, the same features are consistent other than I hold one of these buckles, with a more "traditional" pin, pin shroud and claw arrangement.

Attached are a few buckles within this group.

Regards,

David
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X