Plated SS Buckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plated SS Buckle

I have owned this buckle for some time. When I was looking for an SS buckle (before the internet) I had a hard time locating one, so I settled for this one. Unfortunately someone decided that it would look better if it was plated. It is a shame since I think the buckle may have been in fairly good condition. That being what it is, I just want to make sure that I do have a period piece. From searching the forum it looks good to me, but since buckles are not one of my main collecting interests any comments from the experts would be greatly appreciated.
    Wolfgang
    Attached Files

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Detail
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks ok, have you got a picture of the end of the prongs?

Comment

I have re-adjusted it for you so everyone can look at it without straining their necks
          Attached Files

Comment

Looking now IMO it is a good one

Comment

Thank you for the comment and adjusting the picture Ben!
              Wolfgang

Comment

A real rodo IMO. Are you sure it's been plated and not just buffed to a hard shine on a wheel or something? It looks rather worn on the high points.

Comment

At least the front has definately been plated. It is possible that the buckle was buffed before plating.
                  Wolfgang

Comment

I am not that much of a metalurgist but it seems odd that a buckle could only be plated on the friont and not the back. The whole buckle needs to be treated(cleaned) before plating will take. The fact that the prongs are still rusted would tell me that the buckle was polished , not plated. If by some chance it was plated I believe the process an be reversed by any good company that does chrome plating. I would rather have an original sans any paint than a chrome plated buckle. Another thought, why not put a few small drops of H2O on the front and see if it rusts. That would be the definitive answer.

Bill

Comment

I dont think this is the same buckle but I almost bought this one a while back, it said on the dealers site that is has been "buffed up" and not plated, just wondered if they were similiar
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rear
                        Attached Files

Comment

I applied a small drop of ferric cloride to the buckle, this would react instantly to bare steel. Since there was no reaction on the front or back of the buckle, both sides are plated. I picked up the buckle at a local gun show about 10 years ago, so it would be diffrent from the one shown on the website mentioned above. My main concern was to ensure that it was a period buckle, since I am selling parts of my early collection and wanted to make sure I was not selling a fake to someone. I do agree that it would be a better piece if the plating was removed.
                          Wolfgang

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeknives View Post
                            .....My main concern was to ensure that it was a period buckle, since I am selling parts of my early collection and wanted to make sure I was not selling a fake to someone....
                            Wolfgang
                            Wolfgang,

as already stated no doubts the buckle is original pre-1945.

Best

Ric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X