• Show
Clear All

errors in books..

Hello,
    I have two books :

German belt buckles by Peter NASH

and

Belt Buckles & Brocades (revised edition) by John R. ANGOLIA

Do you know some big errors in these books, like pics of fake shown as original ??
    thank you
    Emmanuel

any originals?!

that will be a looong discussion.

1. the m47 prussian in nash is a fake.

who´s next?!

sven

Comment

Originally posted by p38 View Post
      Hello,
      I have two books :

German belt buckles by Peter NASH

and

Belt Buckles & Brocades (revised edition) by John R. ANGOLIA

Do you know some big errors in these books, like pics of fake shown as original ??
      thank you
      Emmanuel

.......oh my God .................Emmanuel, that's really a provocation

Ric
      Last edited by b.collector; 01-22-2007, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Emmanuel, do you plan to open the longest thread ever?

Comment

We may have to be very careful and somewhat cautious here boys, as there is the possibility of litigation.

I for one though would love to expand on this thread.

Regards,

David

Comment

hello..
            I see it was not a good idea to ask this question...
            It was just to don't learn something wrong in books, and not to make some trouble in the forum.
            So forget my post, it was just a dream..
            regards
            Emmanuel

Comment

Hi Emmanuel, I used to use these books like my bible, which I still do but the more I have learnt and wiser I have become some of the facts you have to "put aside" They are still good books, especially if you are just starting out

Comment

Originally posted by David North View Post
                We may have to be very careful and somewhat cautious here boys, as there is the possibility of litigation............
                David,

you are indeed right and that's the only reason for which I do not open my dance.........
                Anyway if someone will make precise questions, will receive precise answer

Ric
                Last edited by b.collector; 01-23-2007, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Emmanuel, your question was full legitimate. You paid money for a book and you have the right to know what you get for the money.

But David is probably right, it is better that I keep my opinion for me.

In general I can recommend you to believe just in publications based on contemporary sources....

Christian
                  Last edited by Wickie; 01-23-2007, 06:06 AM.

Comment

An interesting thread. I don't think that pointing out suspicious or outright fake buckles in any publication is going to cause litagation. It is only an opinion. With that said there is not a book on buckles that does not have photos of fake or questioanble buckles shown. (with the exception of Reid's book-(line drawings only). Even Baldwin's book that was published in 1984 has a couple of bad buckles pictured. There was a scatheing critique of Evan's book soon after it came out in one of the military magazines. Dispite the inclusion of questionable buckles I really believe that the majority of these reference books were done in good faith and if errors are found the authors would appreciate being notified of the errors. Keep in mind that the majority of buckles pictured came from other collectors who submitted them as good buckles. If the authors were not familiar with the buckle there may have been no reference to check it out with. Regardless of errors, all of the really good buckle books-Reid, Angolia, Catella, Bandau and Nash are invaluable to the collector. Having all of these in your library (as I do) allows one to look through them all while researching a single buckle. It is amazing the differences that you can find this way, 95% of them being legitimate variations.
                    This probably does not help Emmanuel much but just thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Bill

Comment

Excellent response from Bill to which I echo emphatically. As Ben stated, where would we be without them, where could we go without a reference point, how many times have we turned the pages on each of those reference books. We can always find fault in just about everything, but I have found these books to be more factual than not. I would rather praise the authors for their conviction to write these books that has allowed me to learn many facts about this addiction we have towards buckle collection. The books, coupled with this forum (that all of you are part of), has allowed me to grow at a much greater speed imaginable in knowledge and confidence. My key board is the closest thing on my desk; running a very close second are my reference books.

Dan

Comment

May I have full title and details of the Reid,bandau and Catella books on buckles?

Thanks

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X